Cheating | Teen Ink

Cheating

Should we really induct MLB players into the HOF (Hall of Fame) that cheated? No we shouldn’t do that. Inducting MLB players into the the pro baseball HOF or even their teams’ HOF that cheated shows the younger players (the minor league or rookies) that it’s okay to cheat with PEDs.

The MLB tests the players throughout the year for a reason, not just to do it for fun. They want to make sure nobody is cheating and if they are cheating there’s consequences for their actions. When these players use these illegal drugs they are using them to take advantage in the game.  Let’s use Alex Rodriguez for example, in 2007 he denied that he never had used steroids in an interview on 60 minutes. 2 years later Alex Rodriguez was suspended for using a banned substance and admitted he used PEDs from 2001-2003 in an interview on ESPN, and was suspended 1 year of MLB play.

Other people would say, professional athletes using steroids is okay because it’s helping them play better so they aren’t getting in slumps. But, using steroids makes the MLB players take advantage of the game where other players aren’t. Cheating isn’t okay and the MLB needs to take doping and steroids more serious. Yeah they might be right by saying it helps them improve their play in the game of baseball, but cheating isn’t okay.

“These MLB Players' livelihoods and reputations are on the line. Drug testing of pro athletes must be accurate. Professional athletes, for good or bad, are role models. It is important to make it clear to youths that using performance enhancing drugs is cheating and it puts their health at serious risk (Walla Walla Union-Bulletin)."

Work Cited

"EDITORIAL: Drug testing of pro athletes must be accurate." Walla Walla Union-Bulletin (WA) 24 Feb. 2012: Newspaper Source. Web. 30 Sept. 2016.