School Spirit at Its Best | Teen Ink

School Spirit at Its Best

Have you ever seen the amazing student sections and packed stadiums for all of those football games you see on television? They are quite amazing and really bring out the best in their teams and help the teams significantly. It is something called home field advantage and it can really determine the outcome of a game. But why watch it on TV when you can just come over to Ramapo High School and see the jam packed student section with its booming 40 kids! I know what you are thinking; forty is not that much but they are so loud that you can even hear them from twenty feet away! It is such a sight to see. Even before coming to Ramapo, when I would walk up to the football games I could not help but notice that unreal group of students talking to each other. I always wanted to sit on my phone like them and talk to each other and be proud to call my self a part of the “student section”. The themes are always met and everyone is almost kind of matching. Always wearing those different color shirts and never matching with each other really stood out to me and it was always something I wanted to do as a kid. Hey, at least they are showing up, right?

I live very close to the school and sometimes, on those Friday night games, I cannot even sleep at night because of those crazy fans bellowing and screaming in unison (not). And do not even get me started with the chants, how funny they are and how loud they can be. Sometimes they are so loud, you cannot even hear them! It is almost like they’re not even there! Our fans are known for their creative, funny chants that strike the opponent with fear. Oh wait, that might just be the other fans from the other school who brought a larger fan base than we did. Perhaps our fans are using some sort of reverse psychology not showing up to games and being extra quiet to confuse the opponent. It might actually be working because we are winning games but I mean come on, where are the fans? We all know it is more fun to go home and sit on a couch and play a game on a phone alone than go to a football game, under the lights, on Friday night. Because showing school spirit and pride in our good teams, especially football, is just so lame and uncool. What type of people even come to sports games anyway?

If you are ever home, pondering, and doing absolutely nothing, come help out the student section! If not to help, just come to watch 40 or so kids just talk to each other. What an incredible and unforgettable experience watching them use the game as an excuse to go and talk to each other and sit down and play each other in some intense games on their phones. And do not get me started when playoffs come around. The team will be competing for a prestigious championship as the best team in the state of New Jersey but students still won’t show up. I completely understand. It will be a little too cold to be outside to watch a football game rather than in the comfort of your home. Just a blistering, shuddering 50 degrees! Really, come to a game and witness the 40 kids being so loud and supportive. It’s truly a sight to see. There is definitely a ton of “Po Pride” bouncing around the hallways in the school and it is just oozing off of those 40 students.