For the Game of Volleyball | Teen Ink

For the Game of Volleyball

March 24, 2015
By figleyy BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
figleyy BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Shoot!” the player yells. “Ahhh kill,” the team yells in unison.  Sweaty pat on the backs are exchanged throughout the quick six-person huddle.  Next play happens just about as quickly as the first. Gleaming with glorious grins, the team knows they’re about to add another victory to their record. This is my life. This is why I love volleyball. 


I love my teammates. I spend most of my summer with them and I don’t think that I would be able to deal with any one other than them. Most of my high school memories have been spent with them. Between rap battling each other or dancing before games, I can easily say that my summer is filled with unforgettable memories.
I love my coach. Without her I’m not sure if I would have ever fallen in love with the game. She’s my motivator, the one always pushing me harder and harder every time my black and blue shoes touch the floor. Her harsh but forgiving words leave lasting impressions on my brain.


I love volleyball camps. Dark hard wood floors in the “dungeons” of Toledo Central Catholic are sweat covered by the end of our three July days spent there. Driving to and from camps in the school provided white van makes me smile thinking about the memories I’ve had in there. 


I love the fall season volleyball is played in. While conditioning outside, the warm air caresses bare legs and arms while the soft wind cools your body down. The cool 8 am mornings make the three-mile run we are required to do a bit easier. 


I love the atmosphere where the games take place. “That was out!” “Double!” “C’mon girls!” It’spractically impossible to get through a whole game without hearing those phrases. Nothing beats the light wooden blue lined floors of our high school’s gym. I’ve grown up in the gym. I am the player I am today because of that gym. 

I love our fans. Our hot packed gym is filled with perspiring students and parents who enjoy watching the game just as much as we love playing it. I love the fans especially when they wait after games to congratulate us on our latest win. I love the “Is there a game tonight?” questions because it reminds me of the excitement of the game yet to come. 


And I love the competition. Sold out gyms is my favorite part of the competition.  I’ve played only two games where the whole gym is shoulder to shoulder in people.  I’ve never expected so many people to come to one game before. It’s loud. It’s nerve-wracking, but it’s worth it.  


Volleyball is the sport I play. Volleyball is the sport I love. Volleyball is the sport I call mine.