Polyester Plead | Teen Ink

Polyester Plead

By Carrie2 BRONZE, Boca Raton, Florida
Carrie2 BRONZE, Boca Raton, Florida

"The unexamined life is not worth living." Socrates

In seventh grade I put on a cheer leading uniform for the first time. Although the polyester was uncomfortable and tight, nothing in the world seemed as cool as my Middle School Jaguar uniform. I followed cheer into high school, then sophomore year I found myself in the midst of a love affair with the newspaper. We were casual for a while, only getting together when it was necessary, and then things got serious. I found myself working every chance I got, lunches, after school and even day dreaming about page layouts. Suddenly, going to cheer leading practice felt like cheating, instead of computers and commentaries, I was spending my afternoons with pom-poms and megaphones. At a Tuesday night game, I began cheering as usual, then I thought, “...why on earth am I standing here cheering for hormonal boys whose egos are larger than the basketballs they were dribbling?” I tugged at the skirt on my legs and realized, the uniform had no longer fit.

Senior year I am making a choice, and am pleased to tell you all that I will be the Associate-Editor for an award winning newspaper and the tug of war will finally cease. I have found love in the newspaper, learning more about myself in my own words than scripted ones chanted at pep rallies. It has become my passion and sole source of sanity. To discover your peers and realize that each person you pass not only in the hall but in the world has something important to share, is why I love to write. It is when you hear that the shyest boy in your trigonometry class is dedicated to help autistic children that I light up and my adrenaline rushes. People to me are so complex, and with journalism, I do not have to dedicate my entire life to one subject, but I will be given the opportunity to learn every day from all walks of life. Journalism and I have been going strong for 2 years, neither of us plan to throw in the towel now.