I Believe in the Afterlife | Teen Ink

I Believe in the Afterlife

By ZoeBurton BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
ZoeBurton BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan

“The spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.”
Job 33:4

I was 11 years old when I came to the reality of humanity having a creator. Usually when you are 11 you don’t have a care in the world, you make tons of mistakes, you’re a child, and your number one priority is to play and have fun. For me it was a little different, I was distinct from the others and I wanted and sought for something more.

I remember like it was yesterday. I’d had a very vivid dream. In my dream, there was a war between two  sides, a black side and a white side and the setting of this was on a checkerboard. The people were the pawns and there was a king on the light side and another king on the dark side. The pawns were dressed in war gear and they were fighting against each other with swords and shields. I was just standing there watching people fight amongst each other. Seeing dark, demonic forces and angels of light everywhere. I then saw the king of the light side stand up and force his staff on the board, and there was a very, very bright light that blinded everyone on the board except  me. Everyone vanished and I was left standing in an all white area. I walked and came to a stop to see the king of the white side. He spoke to me and said “Welcome and well done”. Everything then blurred out and I woke up from the dream.

I meditated on this dream the next day and decided to ask my Mom about it. She interpreted the dream for me and said it was about a  battle between our creator and Lucifer.  My interpretation was that there is a creator of mankind and when our natural life ends, we go to an afterlife. The king of light represented the creator. He spoke to me and said “Welcome and well done” . The “welcome” represented the beginning of a new journey. The “well done” represented the completion of my life and the accomplishments I achieved. In my eyes the light represented me choosing to do good and the dark represented me choosing to do bad. The excerpt from Job establishes that the creator gives life and life can be interpreted as everlasting. This dream was very significant to me because it revealed, awakened and altered my perspective on life. Five years later I am still convinced by this experience and that my belief is there truly is a creator of mankind and an afterlife.

My experience is what inspired me to write about it and share with others.