Speaking in Silence; Waiting in Hope | Teen Ink

Speaking in Silence; Waiting in Hope

November 1, 2016
By UniqueCookie GOLD, Steubenville, Ohio
UniqueCookie GOLD, Steubenville, Ohio
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Remember, you were born to soar with eagles not to peck and cluck with chickens - Reach - Stretch - Soar! ~ Unknown


“If you can improve on God’s silence – speak.” At first sight this seems impossible to do and its meaning can be improperly understood. Improving on God sounds scandalous and presumptuous, and yet there is a way we can improve. When He is silent – then speak.


When is God silent? When a friend is having a bad day or a bad week, when God’s presence is not felt, when someone feels he/she has been abandoned by God – these are all times when God is silent.


Why is God silent? It could be that He is testing an individual’s faith, trust, and hope in Him. We should not only trust God when all is well, but even when he seems silent and far away.


How can we improve on God’s silence? The answer to this seemingly complex question is actually quite simple. Encouraging friends or family members when they are down is one way. God is seemingly silent at this point in their lives, so when we encourage them we are improving on His silence.


Does improving on God still sound scandalous? Potentially, another reason why God is silent in an individual’s life is so that He can see how others will react to the situation – to see if we can step out of our comfort zones and be the Good Samaritan for our neighbors.  In other words, God wants us to speak when He is silent, to act when He is still, to be present when He is seemingly not there, and to give hope to those waiting for Him to speak, act, and come. 


We are called to be Christ for others. There is no better way to do this than in helping others see that they are not alone. Through our words of encouragement they may be given hope to continue and will know that God is present, even though He is silent. And yet, even through His silence, words of hope can enter lives that are so desperately in need of it. So the next time God is silent – do not be afraid – SPEAK!


The author's comments:

I hope this illustrates the importance of being Christ to others - of being someone when there is no one.  God is always present, but we are His hands and feet.  We can make a difference...we just have to be open.