How I found Wicca | Teen Ink

How I found Wicca

By JasmineHodges SILVER, Texarkana, Arkansas
JasmineHodges SILVER, Texarkana, Arkansas

I found Wicca when I was in the sixth grade. Ever since I was little I liked to watch anything that had witches or magic in it. I thought it was the most amazing thing in the world. I also read anything I could get on the subject with witchcraft and magic. I had a false sense of what Wicca was and I didn’t even know it was a actual religion until I read The Circle of Three series by Isobel Bird it amazed and shocked me that Wicca could be real. So sadly to say I started to search for spells on the internet. I thought spells could make me beautiful. I thought I could cast a spell like on Charmed or Sabrina the Teenage Witch and get what I wanted almost instantly. Good looks, better grades, someone to date, and to punish my enemies. I bet your shaking your head after reading that. Well I’m ashamed for even thinking that. I also was listening to what my family said at the time and they told me that Witchcraft was evil and those people worshipped the devil. So I listened to them and I continued to look up spells. My parents eventually found out what I was doing and told me I was praying to the Devil. The only reason I was Christian was throughout my life I was thought that if you weren’t Christian than you would forever be tormented in Hell with the Devil. So I was hesitant about looking up spells but I thought spells could make me a better person and I could make it up to Jesus later for praying to the Devil for just a little help. I wasn’t selling my soul to the devil I thought. So I checked out books about Wicca and every time my parents would catch me I told them I understood and would stop checking them out. For some reason even though I thought Wicca was evil at the time I couldn’t stop thinking about it and wanting to learn more. After a while I started to doubt my faith in Jesus and the Bible the more I listened to people talk about Christianity the more it felt wrong to me. I didn’t believe that people who weren’t Christian would automatically go to Hell. It just didn’t make sense to me. Also in sixth grade I started to doubt my sexuality. That scared me I thought I would go to Hell for sure. I hated myself for wanting to more about Wicca and I hated myself even more for doubting the religion my parents thought me. I just wanted to go to Heaven but in the back of my mind I still doubted the existence of a Hell let alone a Heaven. I felt that soon or later Jesus was going to punish me for my so called sins. I dint really have anyone to talk to about this. I felt dirty and sinful so I told no one. I checked out various books about Wicca from books about Herbs to books by Silver Raven wolf. I checked them out but rarely ever read them. I was just to scared to. I thought by doing so I was opening myself to the devil. This wasn’t just spells anymore it was the religion to hell. I read bits and pieces from the book but everything I read was proof of Wicca’s evil ways. It wasn’t until 8th grade that I read as much basic information about Wicca that I can from different websites I learned about the Wiccan Rede, The Lord and Lady, the Wiccan wheel of the year, The Threefold Law, and that’s the year I found Witchvox. I read so many essays from Teens that it made me feel like I wasn’t alone. Once I learned the basics of Wicca it felt right to me. I felt at peace. I realized that Wicca wasn’t evil and that it was meant for me to learn more about it. My parents wouldn’t allow that to happen. They told me that I had to go to Church that I was wrong and evil. My older sister even told me that I was going to go to Hell. I told them about Wicca and I told them what it wasn’t I tried telling her that in Wicca the didn’t believe in the Devil and that once you died that you would go to Summerland. Obviously they didn’t want to listen to me, they banned me from the computer and took away The circle of Three Series I checked out from the library. So I gave up Wicca again for a year. Yet during that year I kept thinking constantly about Wicca. I felt lost without it. Eventually I stopped thinking so much about it and I stopped trying to bring it up to my parents. After a while a person gets tired hearing that I was going to Hell and that I was evil and sinful and rebellious. I was tired of hearing that added to the problem that I came out as a Lesbian to them and was refusing to date males. I thought that I had it figured out but I was still so confused I wanted someone to help me learn more. I than decided to join social networks and chat groups for Wiccans. By doing this it made me feel less alone. Than in my ninth grade year my parents decided it would be a good idea to move from Chicago to Texarkana,AR. My older sister Brittany had graduated high school and was in college. So me and my siblings moved to the Bible Belt. Churches was everywhere and I was forced to attend the church and I hated every minute I was there. It seemed like the preacher was pointing out everyone’s flaw and what would be a sure way to Hell. I didn’t like the messages I heard. As I went though High School I tried to fit in by hiding my interest and being or trying to make my parents happy. There was a turning point in my life which I wont talk about in this essay but it made me realized that I wanted to follow the Wiccan path. Now I’ m a Senior in High school and I am trying to graduate. My parents’ and family still don’t accept my faith and wont let me practice it so I have to practice in secret. My parents said I can read about Wicca but not practice it but I will do both. I know Wicca is right form me. I have started a Book of Shadows and I am also going to buy a pentacle necklace on Tuesday. I am proud of being a Wiccan in training and I try to be polite and answer any questions people have when they ask me about my Faith. I will continue to try and learn more about my craft. Well I also would want to figure out my sexuality as well. I consider myself a Gothic Witch but I wont write to much about this, that will be for another essay. I hope this all makes sense of how I found Wicca.

I am happy I found Wicca.

on Mar. 21 2023 at 12:04 am
Azriella SILVER, Quincy, Illinois

"To love is to destroy and to be loved is to be destroyed" -Jace Lightwood

"Heroes aren't the ones who always win. They're the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don't give up. That's what makes them heroes." - Clary Fray

"Let us find the Dam snack bar. We should eat while we can." - Zoe Nightshade

"I said hello to the poodle." - Percy Jackson

Hellenic Pagan here. I converted from Christianity after growing up with my very religious mother from birth-11. I spent 2 more years following Christianity because it was all I had ever known. As an avid fantasy reader I got my introduction to Hellenism through books (Percy Jackson to be specific). I've been pagan for 1.5 months and only one of my cousins, who is Norse Pagan, and one of my atheist friends know. My stepmom is close to figuring it out which I am fine with since she used to practice Wicca, only stopping after she associated it with the death of her brother when she was 16. My dad is agnostic so no worry there I just have to watch out for my mother's side of the family. There is no chance that they would accept me being pagan, the worst to find out would be my grandpa because he is retired military and very old school.

Queen_of_Mediocrity BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." -The Cheshire Cat

@Sirie asking someone to consider their beliefs is not intolerant! That's the definition of discussion. I'm not a religious person, but I hate to see oversimplification on any side. Remember, it's not intolerant for someone to have different views; it's intolerant for them to condemn you for having different views (which often happens with Christians, but just not in the case you are asserting).

@LuvJesus telling people who don't believe in/care whether Jesus loves them that they should change their lives for Jesus to love them is not effective and frankly, feeds into the perception that the Christian belief system is based on circular reasoning and a lack of interest in the individual conditions of a person resulting in the one-size-fits-all Christian doctrine

Anyone who tells you you are going to Hell is not clear on the beliefs of Christianity, one of which is that men don't judge each other's chances at salvation--only God does. Just because you don't want to be an over-the-top, possibly hypocritical Christian, doesn't mean you have to adopt a new religion or cult. Wouldn't you prefer to discover and define yourself as an individual than as a member of a collective group? I don't believe in censuring reading, but I do believe in reading as much as possible on the quest for truth. I hope you choose to look into other philosophies and religions to see what appeals to you and shape your own beliefs accordingly.There's way more out there than just Heaven & Hell belief systems.

ShellyToll SILVER, Rathdrum, Idaho

"If they don't like you for being yourself, be yourself even more" Taylor Swift

While I'm not Wiccan, I can kind of relate. I really like Atheist Paganism but my entire family is very anti-religion. Every time I try to bring it up they give me funny looks and quickly change the subject. Anyway, I enjoyed reading this. You did a great job!

ShellyToll SILVER, Rathdrum, Idaho

There is also a lack of evidence for Christianity as well. I mean no offence and I really appreciate you're acceptance of others. You seem like a really nice person. I don't have anything against Christians (or any other belief) as long as they are accepting and kind. You don't see a lot of that in the religion section of Teen Ink so your response is really refreshing. I just don't think that comparing Wicca and Christianity in terms of evidence is really fair.

Vampyra said...
I found Wicca when I was very young becuz my mother had told me stories about my great grandma. She told me about magic, spells, hebs, and even how magic worked. Over time I became more fascinated with witchcraft that I started learning it and even got involved in the wiccan religion.

Msharkgirl said...
on Jan. 3 2016 at 2:55 am
I relate so much, I just "came out" as Wiccan to my parents and they are horrified. I am so upset, however I will be moving out soon luckily.

Rainbow_Princess, Columbus, Ohio

"I can accept failure but, I can't accept not trying." ~ Michael Jordan ~

No one exactly drove us away from Christ. It isn't like the whole world has to be Christian.

Rainbow_Princess, Columbus, Ohio

I am also 14 and Wiccan, and none of my family supports me so I know how you feel.

Rainbow_Princess, Columbus, Ohio

I can relate to your story, I have been Wiccan since I was 11 years old and I am 14 1/2 years old now and I have been studying witchcraft for 2 years. I don't have much support in my family, and it makes things harder. If you have any advice please let me know.

-DarkAngel said...
on Mar. 14 2015 at 11:30 am
-DarkAngel, Mankato, Minnesota
I can relate well to your story, I am 16 and just getting into the religion, my mom can't find out. Any advise?

VenusFox said...
on Feb. 11 2015 at 10:54 am
I'm 14, and I'm lucky enough to have a mother who supports me and a Wiccan cousin. My dad however hates it all.. So I don't say anything about it to him or anyone else. I'm bullied alot in school about it, but I'm actually happy. I have a boyfriend who is also Wccan and he also helps. It's amazing.

Charis said...
I am a christian too.I'm so worried about my budding intrest in wicca.If my mom finds out I'm doomed. My Dad would be compelled to tell me its dangerous.Since he is an ex christian.My step mom would probably be the most accepting and help me on this journey.She is a medium and is very spiritual.I hope there are more teens like me that can help me on this journey.The only problem I have is they my mom and my siblings are super christian.I've had doubts about christianity the past year and I've been researching diffrent religions. I love the idea of magick and that inner peace.I dream to have an OOBE (out of body experience) and I want to explore wicca more.

I am not a teen but i found this article whilst looking for answers and i can relate, my mom is very accepting the person standing in my way when it comes too wicca is me because im scared i find it hard to worship the godess as ive been raised to believe in one god even though there being a godess makes so much sence. its like im afraid of annoying god like hes going too end my life if i step off of christianity and it terrifies me ive looked for advice but all i find are the christians telling people who believe what i do that were going too hell i cant stop being me but im terrified of the punishment if i allow myself to be me everytime i try to walk away from wicca i am pulled back like its a part of me so i dont know what to do, ive never commented on one of these sites before so i hope im doing it right. and thank you for that article it was beautifully written.

Seeker said...
on Sep. 16 2013 at 11:37 am
Well, that is very odd, since the one established religious philosophy Wicca resembles is.....Hinduism! Wiccans believe in the One ( Brahman ) the God and Goddess ( Shiva and Durga, Laxmi-Narayan etc ), karma and reincarnation. A Hindu priest told me he could find all one needed to perform a Wiccan rite--in the Vedas. This pandit is a Sanskrit scholar. Perhaps you should point this stuff out to your parents and tell them to chill  out!

Tessa_smith said...
For one.. I can see sprits and stuff.. Does this mean i am going to hell becasue i am a gifted child??? NO it doesnt cause in the bible it talkes bout people having Special Giftes from god. So if their are a Meduim or Psychic.. they are fake or It CAME from the god.. I am christain to btw. and i dont understand why you had to comment on this poor girl blog thing... its none of your bussiness what she does with her life. unles she is your friend or family you have no right to tell her whats wrong and right in her life..

on Jun. 11 2013 at 2:36 am
Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

Obviously a very popular article :) Wicca is a beautiful religion to me, much like a fairytale (not to be disrespectful at all, to the contrary I mean this as a compliment). However, you wouldn't post this in the opinions section if you didn't want discussion, right? :) Hopefully so....forgive me if not :P I am a Christian, and I think it's horrible how your parents potentially drove you away from Christ. If every time I was curious about vampires my parents told me I was going to Hel.l that would make me insane as well! XD But while there's a healthy level of interest in a certain thing, going from Christianity to Wicca is a BIG jump, lol. I get that it's a gut thing....but there's such a lack of evidence that Wicca is even the right religion, how can you be sure you haven't made a grave mistake? And you'll have to forgive all the well-meaning Christians who have commented so far, they are just concerned :) I know it's annoying......Jesus freaks, huh? :P Anyways, from a purely creative perspective, I thought you did a good job in keeping the reader hooked, though you needed to format a little better. Overall good article! Do you write poetry or anyhing?

LuvJesus said...
Deuteronomy 18:10-12: For example, never sacrifice your son or daughter as a burnt offering. And do not let your people practice fortune-telling, or use sorcery, or interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft, or cast spells, or function as mediums or psychics, or call forth the spirits of the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to The Lord. It is clear that you were never a Christian. If you had really known Jesus, you would have never turned to Wicca. Jesus is everything, the beginning and the end, the Alpha and the Omega, and He loves you. If you turn to Him, he will forgive you and wipe you clean. Wicca will give you nothing. I will be praying for all of you.

Jordan Sabey GOLD, Spanish Fork, Utah
this is exacly what i just went through tnaks so much i hope you find love and spiritual enlightenment blessed be )O(