Boys Don't Cry

Boys don't cry.

Their minds are dictated by conformity, emotions morphed together from abnormality. They're told that sensitivity is weak, to never weep. They can't cry. Genes don't make the boy. Life doesn't create the boy.

Society does. 

It weighs down. It burdens. It weaves together those emotions to be composed and perfect and poised, because boys need to act a certain way so the labels don't invade.

Why is crying considered an offense? Why is sensitivity not embraced? Why is empathy shunned?

WolfWhisperer0911This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yesterday at 7:52 pm
@kkatherinekatt Well said. I am a boy too, and sometimes when I cry, on purpose or not, people don't judge me, most of the time. I think it is because when you see a burly athlete, you wouldn't expect him to cry, right? But then again, crying makes you human, showing that you have a heart and feelings than being a cold, selfless one. Besides that, great article!

kkatherinekattThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
yesterday at 10:45 pm
@WolfWhisperer0911 I definitely agree! I think crying is always seen as forbidden in most cases, but personally, I see it as strong empathy and compassion. I'm very sensitive myself, so I've dealt with all of the backlash and name calling and all that. Thank you!

WolfWhisperer0911This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 9:03 pm
@kkatherinekatt You are so welcome!