Difference | Teen Ink

Difference

By Fatim Haidara BRONZE, New York, New York
Fatim Haidara BRONZE, New York, New York

There is always controversy when it comes to things that are different. In this day and age, girls on social media feel stressed out or like they don't fit in because they don't have the "normal" body type. A tight stomach, with a nice thigh gap, a nice butt, standard boob size and long straight hair. Girls complain about how other people on social media put them down because they are different. Especially boys. They make all these post about how it’s unfair that people in this generation always have something to say about each other. For example, a girl that I follow on instagram was made fun of because her skin color was too dark. People said her body resembled a shadow. The girl was extremely pretty, she had a beautiful dark complexion, and a huge curly afro. She was beautiful. Every time someone would post about her they forget to mention all the good things about her. 

As my first year of high school has finally been completed, I have encountered many situations where my friends talked about how ugly and short guys were. At first i’d laugh it off, then I would think more and more about it. To come to think of it it wasn’t all that funny.  I personally thought that if guys don't have the right to judge a girl's body, a girl shouldn’t have the right to make fun of a guy’s body either. It's just plain fair. Just because the world has created an image about guys and how real boys and men are supposed to be strong and capable of things that girls couldn't do doesn’t mean we have to follow what people in the world expect us to think, because everyone is entitled to think whatever the f*** they want.

People are also entitled to define their own sexuality. Boys and girls are put down with nasty comments from people who don't care about their feelings. If you're lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, or asexual certain people aren't able to adjust to the fact that it's okay to be different. They are so caught on the fact that you or anybody else just like you aren’t normal.

Now the word normal is used very loosely. Normal: the usual, average, or typical state of being. In this world there is no normal. Some may disagree with me but if you think about it we only have normal behaviors not normal personalities, sexual orientations, or bodies types. People have associated the word normal with pretty much everything.The word normal can be used but the definition should be broaden to the fact that your normal isn't my normal, but it's still normal to me. Not everyone's normal is the same.

There was never really a time where I felt like someone had told me I needed to be normal. Which is a positive thing in this case  But one year at this camp that I went to a group of kids had came up to my friends and I. We were standing in a circle, and the group of kids came in between us. They turned to a boy in the circle and bluntly asked “yo are you gay?” At that time I had known that the boy wasn't fully comfortable admitting it to other people. They started to press the boy and kept asking him “are you gay?” We all stood there in shock. Suddenly the boy said “yes I am gay, why?” The group of kids who had been pressing him, began to laugh. They yelled fruit loop and continued to laugh. What baffled me was the fact that a girl in the group had been dressed as a boy, so what right did she have to make fun of my friend? Would it be fair if I asked her if she identified herself as a boy, and then laughed at her? No, because no one should be treating anyone like they didn’t matter because he was different; which is unfair. No one should ever be called out because he or she isn’t “normal”.

I wrote this piece to show that everyon eis allowed to be diffrent and be who they are. Also to spread awareness aboout a situation thats barley talked about.