Teen Stress | Teen Ink

Teen Stress

November 12, 2015
By terialexander BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
terialexander BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

The stress of school has become a huge burden for many teenagers. According to an article from The Washington Post on teen stress, 83 percent of teens say that school is “a somewhat or significant source of stress.” School is supposed to be challenging for students, but shouldn’t be pushing them past their limits. Teens worry about keeping up, failure, planing for the future, and social pressures, all these worries piled up stresses them out. Most students try to excel in school and do extracurricular activities to get into college and keep a social life outside of school, says in an article about academic performance being one of the top causes teen stress on NBC News. I have at least an hour of homework every night, which wouldn't be bad if i didn't have dance everyday. I know people would say that dance is optional, but teens need to be able to pressure their passion because it makes life worth living. Time management is probably one of the main causes of stress. Most teens don't get the necessary seven hours of sleep they need due to homework. Teachers give too much and too difficult homework. Its understandable that they are trying to prepare us for college and the real world, but we can only do so much. Giving homework on the weekend and long breaks like Thanksgiving is too much. Teens need a break from school every once in a while, and giving homework over a long holiday break just adds to the stress. Many adults would say that they are stressed out more than teens, but according to The Washington Post many teens report experiencing stress at unhealthy levels, experience symptoms of stress in numbers that mirror adults’. If teens could learn time management, and if they weren’t pressured to worry about their future, maybe teen stress wound decrease.