How to Kill a Frog | Teen Ink

How to Kill a Frog

November 5, 2008
By Reddevlin SILVER, Douglas, Massachusetts
Reddevlin SILVER, Douglas, Massachusetts
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

How do you boil a frog? You just put it in a pot of boiling water, right? Wrong, the frog would jump out because they wouldn't be used to it. Instead you would put it in a pot of water, then slowly bring it up to a boil, allowing the frog to get used to it. This works with humans, not to kill them but in their mind set.
Swearing for example, has the frog effect. While we were little, we barely knew what a swear was, except it was bad. When we learned what the words were then we were greatly annoyed by them. Slowly, we became accustomed to the words, we didn't mind if someone said a**, as an example. Soon words crept into our everyday language, we didn't mind them at all. Soon the f-word and other things were a weekly thing, a daily thing, an hourly thing. Soon it was sprinkled everywhere in our conversations.
The same frog effect went to many other things, inappropriateness being one. Things that I won't mention. However, the world is now sliding into the pot.
In the past, people were very well behaved, back when we used to say swell. Children wouldn't even speak unless spoken to. Now, a kid will talk back, and disrespect adults, and adults are beginning to care less and less.
Television doesn't help. People could barely show any skin in the past. Belly buttons used to be a forbidden appearance in a movie. That, as you know, has changed. Rated R used to mean using the F word once, now you have to have 10 tons of blood for it to be rated R. More and more, things are accepted. Humor is also made crude by shows such as "Family Guy" and "Two and a Half Men".
Slowly the heat is being turned up, and the world is getting more and more used to the bad things, the things that seemed like a forbidden territory.
The world is a great place, cool down and don't get caught in hot water.