Is college too expensive? | Teen Ink

Is college too expensive?

By NattiyaT BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
NattiyaT BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

"Only the strong survive."

Do you ever feel like you've come too far in order to be setback? Coming to your junior year in high school and having the colleges of your choices in mind. The only thing that keeps you back like a gated fence is the tuition it cost for admission. Working your hardest throughout your high school career and having the cause of financial problems stress you out. Becoming discouraged isn't a good feeling, because it makes you believe what you worked up to wasn't worth it, or good enough at the end. If you don't have the money to attend college it's like not having the key to your dreams. Education is the key, and without having the thousands of dollars you need to attend the University of your choice, you wouldn't expect yourself to succeed. It all comes down to the fact that college is too expensive for middle class and lower class citizens which holds us away from our potential dreams.

Many students begin to think about college their junior year, or sooner, but there's one thing that stands in the way. College, the most important stepping stone in your life, tuition stands in the way of reaching and achieving what you've dreamed about. The tuition of colleges and universities, damages you financially. Scholarships are never guaranteed, so the only road left to take is taking out student loans. Everyone wants to be able to succeed in life and further their education, but the expense of college makes it extremely difficult. Frightened, hard workers worked hard from day one to finish, and makes them unsure as to whether college is the right thing for them or not. Doing a thousand scholarships won't even make you feel as if there's a chance considering the tuition of the college you want to attend is, $20,500 a semester. Society is rigged; they force you to think, you have to attend college if you're thinking about becoming anything in life and not ending up homeless with zero work ethics. Even though everyone has a choice, and hold their own destiny, the costs of universities are off the chart, which basically crosses out the lower class chances of attending. Being a student myself and growing up in a lower class society, I've learned to adapt to the downfalls that comes with it. I'm aware that I don't have the thousands of dollars to go to college, but I made sure throughout my years of high school I did what was expected and kept good grades. I see it as I may not have the money directly, but showing that I have the skills and drive to work hard should be credited for something. Not being able to attend college would set me back so far, that there would take a miracle to recover. College is something that you can't hold out on. It is important to attend college in the fall after graduation, so that you're not going a full year or two without schooling. Then, it all comes back to say if those people could attend college they would. Unfortunately, grants, Scholarships, FAFSA, and loans aren't handed to you nor are they a reliable source of income that's guaranteed to come. Age would be another huge delay because if you're seventeen, you cannot take out student loans, and neither can your parents, if their credit is bad. College is something we all aim for, but some come to realize it's a chance of not attending.

Depending on your social class, you have a superior chance of getting into a university with no worries, because the cost wouldn't cross your mind. Society brings us all together just to segregate us all over again. By having different financial classes and labelling one more advanced than the other. The more affluent class stakes of attending college are top ranked, because they come from families who have the money and does not have to worry about the cons about the situation. Unlike the more affluent class, not everyone grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth. Upper class students don't have to put in very much overtime like the average student would because they are used to getting it when they want it. The average student goes about it the "adult way," which is getting money on their own and feeling accomplished that they worked for it. Deprived, the average student has a lower chance of attending college. The pros about the more affluent student is that they have a free ride to college, with no fears of getting into debt and owing thousands back to the bank, government, or whomever. The cons about that is that most children who have the opportunity to receive a full ride to college, usually drop out, because deep down inside it isn't something they want. Usually they've adapted to the lifestyle they always had, which is just getting by because of their social class, and isn't used to working for anything. Instead they rather have it all handed to them. An average student and a more affluent student might only have one thing in common and that would be being a student. Other than that fact they wouldn't be able to relate to one another, because they come from different financial classes, and different lifestyles. A student who family has money couldn't relate to a student that's been poor all their life and it's simply because they've never experienced it. Society does a pretty well job by enforcing that everyone needs a college degree, but make the goal of going to college only attainable to the wealthy. No money to attend college, leads to no money to care for self, or anyone else in that matter. The expense of college discourages one from the dreams they once had.

If college was just as easy as getting into high school was, we would all attend. Predominantly, college is for those with money, so therefore we cannot attend. It's already saddening being told "you will never amount to anything," by your peers, teachers, and family members, and to carry that on your shoulders, along with proving them right is even more complicated. It's sad to say that it all boils down to the fact that it has everything to do with the color of your skin. Society has categorized all African Americans to be known as "lower class," and with that being stamped on our skin, some of us tend to live up to the stereotype, which makes it even more difficult to expect more out of yourself, when you're already being told how far you can go and that's to your senior year of high school. College tuition is very expensive and isn't given a fair share for everyone to have the opening and adventure to take on, due to the lack of finance. It seems as if the furthest you could go before you're forced to give up is to your senior year in high school, and that's because the schooling is free. When it comes to bettering your education as far as 4+ years in college, you aren't even given the time of day. The saying "money rules the world!" is absolutely true. If you don't have any money to start with, you won't have any to finish with, especially if not being able to obtain the option of going to a university due to its outrageous expense. As much as we all try to deny the fact, it still remains that we live in poverty, and society is evil, and is mainly for the rich.