World Peace | Teen Ink

World Peace

By JillianNora SILVER, Forest Park, Illinois
JillianNora SILVER, Forest Park, Illinois

"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." -1 Timothy 4:12

Imagine
Written by John Lennon
“Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today.

“Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

“You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

“Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

“You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one.”

Peace is impossible to accomplish in the world we live in today. It’s not because I agree with Lennon’s dreams of complete peace, just the opposite. It’s because I find the picture of peace he paints to be a lonely, depressing one. Think about it.
In the verses of “Imagine” Lennon dreams of a world where “there’s no heaven…no hell”, where the people “live for today”, “there’s no countries [races]”, “nothing to…die for.” Imagine how it would really be to live for only today, to never have any dreams for the future. Imagine what it would be like for everyone to look exactly the same. Same eyes, same hair, same. Picture no religion or belief system. Nothing worth dying for: no belief, no patriotism, no person. Imagine if we all lived in perfect harmony all the time.
We would have no reason to live. Our skin and hair color represents our culture. Our ambitions are what make tomorrow worth it. The beliefs and morals we have are what make us.
In the perfect peace Lennon describes, we wouldn’t have people or places worth dying for. We wouldn’t have dreams or faith. We would all be the same, clones of each other.
If we each want to be an individual, perfect peace is impossible.