Reality Television: Doing the Nation Harm | Teen Ink

Reality Television: Doing the Nation Harm

By Hapigrl BRONZE, Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania
Hapigrl BRONZE, Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania

Most teenagers and even adults across the nation would say that reality television is different in the sense that there aren’t any scripts. They might also say that it’s neat that you can see into some ordinary person’s life. Or maybe they would say that reality television captures the human spirit in way dramas and sitcoms can’t. But the “reality” to reality television is that it is harming the way the next generation is thinking and becoming. Now, I would be the first to say that Survivor and The Amazing Race is number one on my T.V. hit list. These two shows are considered mild from the 89.5 hours of broadcast reality television which contain about 847 instances of sex, language, and violence. Nonetheless, there is still the bleeping, the blurred scenes, and continuous corruption throughout all of the reality television in the nation.

In every realty TV show you will find a massive greed for money, love, sexuality, or attention. No matter what show you are watching you will find one of these things. Isn’t this just showing the next generation what they can get away with? Yes. It’s also showing them what are society is turning into: a community of materialistic ,people, who don't blink twice about running around naked while swallowing live cockroaches if it means winning a cool million for doing so. Or that they don’t need to study hard in school, or train hard for a regular job. Instead of teaching our future about spiritual strength, girls are learning to pride themselves with outer beauty. The website idebate states: “The programmes are full of swearing, crying and argument, and often violence, drunkenness and sex. This sends a message to people that this is normal behavior and helps to create a crude, selfish society.” This is completely true. Reality television is also cheap and running out other programs on T.V. so that there is nothing else to watch but endless hours of un-talented rubbish.

To conclude, reality television is corrupting our society as we know it. Moreover, it is corrupting our nation and changing the way the next generation is living.

Y does it matter, yea it's stupid but who cares