Dear Mr. President | Teen Ink

Dear Mr. President MAG

June 26, 2010
By Trio123 GOLD, Sunnyvale, California
Trio123 GOLD, Sunnyvale, California
13 articles 46 photos 119 comments

I am writing this letter because I love my grandma more than anything. Her nickname is Vavi, she is 79 years old, her hair is white as snow, and she adores listening to the radio. She is interested in almost everything: politics, medicine, modern culture. She is the one who told me, “Never ever say ‘I am bored.'” Wherever she goes, she carries the American flag. It is because of her passion for America that I am living in the U.S.

My mom and I emigrated from Spain in 2006. It took a bit longer for my grandma to get her permanent residence here. When she got it, we celebrated. It had been such a long road. I could finally have my grandma back!

Unfortunately, when my mom began searching for medical insurance for my grandma, no company would take her. She was then 76. Medicare is not available to her either; she needs to live in the States for five years before she can apply. By then she will be 81. Medi-Cal (Medicaid) will not take her. Meanwhile, she has to remain uninsured to live here with us. If something were to happen to her, my mom would not be able to carry the burden. My grandma would never allow this to happen. This is why I don't have my grandma living with me.

The second to last time my grandma visited, she felt a pain in her eye. She bore her suffering until she could fly back to her homeland. She lost most of the vision in that eye. The last time I saw her, she embraced me and, with tears in her eyes, told me that she couldn't visit anymore. The journey was too hard on her. I don't know when I will see my grandma again.

Mr. President, I am determined to grow up to be a lawyer who will seek justice where I see injustice. I will do this to honor my grandma. Please help me find a way for us to be together while there is still time. Legal immigrants should have the ability to access medical care when they immigrate to the United States. Otherwise, families will be torn apart without reason, and I will carry this grief in my heart as long as I live.


The author's comments:
I believe that by raising awareness of elder immigration and its related health care coverage, government and local agencies will eventually seek solutions to the problem. I bring my personal example to support the understanding of this problem.