Learning for Learning's Sake | Teen Ink

Learning for Learning's Sake

By ShanelleFernando GOLD, Sewickley, Pennsylvania
ShanelleFernando GOLD, Sewickley, Pennsylvania

Rushing eagerly to my room after getting home from school, I eagerly flip my laptop open, click on a new browser, and navigate to my school’s grading portal. As my eyes scan this virtual spreadsheet, I see a smattering of ‘As’ and ‘Bs’. I am content with my academic progress thus far.

In the competitive atmosphere that is high school, many of us lose sight of the worth of our education. Sure, if we get good grades, colleges will flock to us, but is this the sole purpose of education?--to get into a decent college?

It is important not to lose sight of the value of education. Science allows us to become better problem-solvers, perhaps not only for a potential career in engineering, but for the way we approach problems in life as well. The humanities teach us to be compassionate, empathetic individuals. As we read book after book, our humanity is tested as we react to the struggles and successes of every protagonist.

Next time you take a seat in your science or English class and groan at the irrelevance of the subject, think again. Believe it or not, education not only gives us the skills for a career, but also the tools to navigate life as a well-rounded, human being.