Time Flies Even When You're Not Having Fun | Teen Ink

Time Flies Even When You're Not Having Fun

By coffeestar777 BRONZE, Irvine, California
coffeestar777 BRONZE, Irvine, California

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Do you sometimes wish that life would just stop? I’ve always dreamed of owning a magical remote control that can start and stop the flow of time, like that guy in the movie “Click.” (Now, I’ve never actually seen the movie, so I can’t say if that turned out well for him.) Maybe it’s just me, but high school seems to be speeding by like a blur. It seems like just last week when I was a little freshman stepping onto the high school campus for the first time. Now, junior year is more than half over and college applications are looming overhead, descending ever faster to bury me in a pile of essays and interviews (scary!).
Sometimes, I feel like I’m living in one of those movie scenes where the sun continually sets and rises at an exorbitant speed. With projects, tests and homework being constantly thrown at me, it’s hard to not feel overwhelmed at times (okay, all the time). Every night, when I slip beneath the cozy blankets, I wish that I could just sleep forever and never wake up. At times like these, I have to remind myself to relax, take a step back from the speeding pace of life and have fun. It’s perfectly okay to spend a day doing absolutely nothing (I’m saving these days for after that final A.P.U.S.H. outline).
What I’m trying to say is, don’t get so caught up in the worries and stresses of school that you miss out on the little things in life. Go to the movies with your friends, play Monopoly with your family, plan a romantic picnic with your boyfriend or girlfriend and bake cookies for your siblings (or just make fun of them, like me). High school only lasts 4 years, which may seem like a long time right now, but will race by in the blink of an eye. So, make the most of it. Create memories that you will remember twenty years from now. Take lots of pictures. Maybe even catch a sports game. Keep your goals in sight and remember why you are doing all that you are doing. I guarantee you, college will be so much fun.