Obama's Education Plan | Teen Ink

Obama's Education Plan

November 24, 2009
By NoellePerry SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
NoellePerry SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Obama’s new education plan has the whole country wondering what’s going to happen. Personally, I don’t believe more school is the answer. The quality of education that our students are getting is the real concern. If students aren’t motivated to learn, why would they come to school more? It will increase stress and truancy, which is already high among high school students. Suicide is also an issue not to be ignored. School is one of the major causes of teenage stress. “Nationwide, 16.9% of high school students had seriously considered attempting suicide during the past year. Overall, the prevalence of having seriously considered attempting suicide was higher among female (21.8%) than male (12.0%) students (2005 CDC Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance). These statistics are outrageous. More school work will only push these statistics higher. Plus, more schooling across the nation will only cost millions of dollars more. Where are we going to get the money from? At this current moment, the United States is approximately $11,927,161,201,304in debt. The amount is rising by the millisecond. Schools should have quality education plans for themselves, resulting in well-educated children. It should be quality, not quantity.