An Epidemic of Stupidity | Teen Ink

An Epidemic of Stupidity MAG

July 5, 2011
By Sarrawr BRONZE, Burbank, Ohio
Sarrawr BRONZE, Burbank, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

In this media-focused world, the things we see and hear in the movies, on TV, and on the radio influence us all. Some of these influences are benign or even beneficial to the forming minds of youth. But many others provide young people with questionable messages, for example, the MTV hits “Jersey Shore” and “My New BFF.” The stars of these shows do not commit technically immoral acts; they simply commit mindless ones. The lack of blatantly immoral behavior leads many viewers to conclude that the shows are harmless. We can recognize when behavior lacks common sense, however, the greater danger is that we have been conditioned by the media to view mindlessness as acceptable.

As an intelligent young woman, I am disgusted with TV programs and movies that promote mindless behavior. The stars of these shows demonstrate to young people – particularly girls – that it is attractive to be dumb. That idea feeds into other self-image issues that girls already experience, and I believe this is affecting the future of our nation. If we want to have any hope for our society, we must stop this epidemic of stupidity.

Mixed in with all the blatant messages that young people are gathering from the media is a subliminal implication that it is attractive to be dense – especially for young women. Paris Hilton, for example, is known for a variety of mindless escapades, such as the now very public sex tape she made when she was 19. Hilton has also readily admitted that she is not familiar with common knowledge, including the function of the Walmart stores and the capital city of England. Despite these intellectual failings, Hilton – whose mindlessness has inspired the term “celebutard” – has been linked romantically to the rich and famous – models, musicians, actors, and businessmen – showing young women that desirable men find her vapidity attractive. These negative examples lead girls to imitate Hilton in order to gain male attention; this begins young – perhaps as early as grade school – and only escalates during the teen years.

As Devin McKinney states in his article “Look at Those Stupid Girls,” “It's long been axiomatic that many girls, at a certain age, stop raising their hands in class so much. As they become teenagers, they begin deferring to boys intellectually and socially, ‘dumbing down' in male company for fear of intimidating those jocks and studs who might favor them with a sleazy come-on.”

By promoting the “stupid girl” image, the media prevents young women from avoiding issues of body image and acceptance. While it is true that many eating disorders are caused by depression or abuse, many begin with a yearning to be attractive and accepted. Some girls will try almost anything to gain boys' attention, including dumbing down, taking up a crash diet, or getting a spray tan.

The “stupid girl” image has also caused many to believe that if they are attractive to the opposite sex, they hold a certain amount of power over others of their own sex. McKinney states that “girls corrode their throats and gut their frames with eating disorders, and teach themselves to conceive of other women as potential usurpers of sexual power and male attention.” This competition between women that is modeled on TV can become fierce – the women of “The Real Housewives of New Jersey” fight each other tooth and nail for ridiculous reasons, resulting in attention from the cameras and, ultimately, their male partners.

Competition between women can also prevent many from escaping this culture of “stupid girls.” Many times, in the schoolyard or classroom, a girl who tries to do or say something intelligent will be ridiculed rather than respected. Throughout my life, I have often experienced this “trial by jury,” each ending in the verdict of “guilty of being a know-it-all.”

Some people may view the “stupid girl” trend as a simple display of childishness. If this were the case, the idea of girls playing dumb would not alarm thinking people as it does. However, the immaturity of youth is not to blame; stupid girls are growing up to be stupid women and having children. What will these mothers teach the future leaders of our nation? Will they teach their daughters to always wear makeup and encourage their sons to pursue ditzy girls? If this cycle continues, our country will be run into the ground in a matter of a few generations!

As an intelligent person, it pains me to see my friends and classmates overcome by the epidemic of stupidity ravaging our society. They are following the lead of certain celebrities who demonstrate that stupidity is attractive. This feeds into the self-image issues girls already experience without input from the media. If we are to have any hope for our future, we must stop this epidemic of stupidity.