The Overused Vampire | Teen Ink

The Overused Vampire

By SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

Vampires have been completely overdone. They are in books, movies, poems, and just about any other types of entertainment you can think of. I swear, it seems like authors throw vampires into the thread of a story, especially romances I’ve noticed, simply to get the book sold. Most vampire related fiction, I’ve realized is geared toward hyped up, lovesick, teenage girls.

Now that said there is nothing wrong with putting vampires in your works. But could we please have some originality?! We’ve been served too many portions, of death, drama, and romance, concerning vampire fiction, for far too long.

If you’re going put vampires in your stories, can you at least put an individual spin on it? Trying to reuse the same ideas and plot lines as another author, or authors, doesn’t work. It only sours your story and theirs.

For example, ever since Twilight came out, people keep using the same story of girl meets vampire, and the vampire is the most dreamy person on the Earth. It sickens me. An author is supposed to be creative, and not use other people’s ideas! Being inspired , and using someone else’s plot notion, are two very different things.

Mix it up, put vampires in a new light. Make them caring or naive. Add something different. I’ll appreciate it, and so will the thousands of other readers out there, who are sick of the same old angsty romances, and blood sucking death bringers, that have been induced into vampire fiction. Bringing different ideas and creative imaginings to an overused topic, interests us, as much as you.

But maybe you don’t include vampires in your stories, and for that I thank you. I love complicated romances, and sometimes vampires add the perfect spice to things, but not every popular piece of fiction has to involve vampires, or paranormal romance! So please, before you write another love torn saga on vampires, or anything paranormal, make sure it’s original. If you do, I guarantee you will make a lot of people happy, including yourself. If you have any original pieces concerning vampires, please tell me. I would enjoy a fresh dose of creativity.

I wrote this because I am so fed up with how much vampires and paranormal romance have taken over the bookshelves in both the library and bookstores. It's a tragedy! We need some variety people!

Sparaxis GOLD said...
Sparaxis GOLD, Saint Marys, Georgia

"If you keep on picking on me, I'll mess up again. This time, on PURPOSE."

When it comes to vampires as fictional characters, I prefer the lumpen, prototypical vampires from Southeast Asian folklore. If you're going to look up what I just said, let me just say for the record that they're not so dreamy...at all.

ladyharmonia SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

valar morghulis

I try writing books with vampires with the absent of humans. and if they are in it it is not a love story.

valar morghulis

i would rather read a book where the female is the vampire and the male is human, or even if it was just a group of vampires with out the whole human/vampire romance. heck even if it starts out all romantic but suddenly takes a darker turn, (the vampire is evil and such) would be fun! I dont need to read about vampires wanting to be more humane. Crazy merciless vampires who only care about them selfs and maybe the other vampires they are close with are more fun to read about.

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

Thanks for the comment!

SmirkingSkull, New York, New York

"Sucking up to me won't spare you from my wrath." - Naomi Kimishima
"In the long run we are all dead"- Kenyes

Finally someone who knows what they're talking about! I completely agree. Ever since Twilight came out there's been a non-stop vampire craz. I personaly use to love vampire books. "use to" being the key words. It's so over used. I wish it's go back to the way it was before Twilight. That only the true and few vampire books, not every writter who wants a romantic love story. 

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

Thank you so much! I love when I get comments like this :)

Manish9 SILVER said...
on Jan. 8 2012 at 1:53 am
Manish9 SILVER, Kanpur, Other
great job ... i am glad that someone finally brought it up !

sunshine7223 SILVER, Holdenville, Oklahoma

"Afterall, a loose screw doesn't want to need, and a hammer doesn't want to be needed." -Me

"Those who observe with their eyes closed and mouths open, are usually not as wise as those who allow their minds to wander freely." -Me

WOW! I am blown away! I so agree with everything you discussed in this piece. Your opinion on the topic is so well described in detail. You can definitely feel the voice of your opinion streaming throughout the piece. This is so well done, and definitely deserves a 5/5 rating! I would love to read more from you. I agree with you completely on this topic, 110%! FANTASTIC job! :))))

LifesIllusion BRONZE, Cicero, Indiana

"Don't let your fears slow you down. Instead, chase them down and beat them."

Even though I myself love the Twilight Series and many other like it, you totally made me see from another point of view. And let me tell you I am very stubborn. Congrats on that! anyway, great job! 4.5/5 stars

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

Thanks!          

Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

Remember reading this in the forums and loving it!

I'm glad it's finally published on the site.

It's a very opinionated , yet true article. Keep it up!

on Oct. 2 2011 at 12:20 am
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

So I think I commented on this before in the forums, and I'm just going to say again--I really like this! I completely agree with what you're saying. I've never been a huge fan of vampire books, just because there are so many of them! Great article! :)

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

Thanks!!!        

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

That's a great idea! I definitely encourage you to do that. 

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

Thank you! That gave me a great idea about how you said vampires aren't the only things overused, maybe I could start a mini series of short stories with creative spins on all those overused stereotypical fantasy creatures! 

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

I really applaud you for taking the time to write something on a subject that I think a lot of people have thought about, but not talked about openly. Yes, originality is the spark of life! And there's only a certain amount of times you should use an idea, once! Like you so wonderfully stated, if the general ideas are similar, but the author puts a unique spin on things, then that is brilliant, and I would most likely enjoy reading the book. So I agree with everything you said, although vampires are only the tip of the iceberg. Things like dragons also get way overused with no new spin. I really enjoyed reading this fresh, entertaining article! You state your opinions clearly, and elaborate on them throughout the article. Great job, 5 stars!

on Aug. 31 2011 at 10:09 am
ItsAshMal SILVER, Guilford, Connecticut

You've expressed here what I think many teenage girls have been trying t say for a while now. Of course, the question of the alluring vampire has been around since the beginning of literature; my friend even had to write an essay on it in her AP English class last year.

The formatting here makes your opinion clear and easy to understand, and I must say I agree with you!.

Side note: have you seen the show supernatural? I love their taker on vampires. Also, Scott Westerfield has two books on vampires that are very different. You'd probably like them. I can't ever remember the name of the first, but its sequel is called So Yesterday.

LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

Great article! I have only recently started exploring the vampire genre and I realized very quickly that it would not be a favorite. I have only read a few and already I am tired of how similar they are. The only unique one I have read so far was Kiss of the Night by Debbie Viguie.

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

-one of my friends

Cool! Thanks!

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

It's called "Earthsong" and it's by Crystal Yates. I hope you like it :) 

I don't think it'll work for me to post a link. I think you can google it. Let me know if that works, if it doesn't I'll just post the link for you.