Texting Oh Texting | Teen Ink

Texting Oh Texting

By Connor10 BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
Connor10 BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

Should kids be able to text in school? I think they should be able to for these reasons. It is like if I have good grades and I pay attention in class why should I not be allowed to text in school? In my opinion students should be allowed to text in school because what if something bad happened we could text someone to get help. There is a computer system that some teachers have and it is where the teachers will ask a question on the board and the kids can text the answer and the answer pops onto the board. Using what students like and think is cool is a great way for us to have fun while learning.

Also, kids should be allowed to text in school because if they become sick or need to call their parents to pick them up they would be able too. They could just text them, and their parents would then be able to get them. Texting in school would make school as fun as going to the beach on a warm sunny day. Sometimes during school I just want to scream because it is so hard not to text all day. It is our way of talking so I get frustrated and depressed to not be able to talk my way.

One day in a teachers classroom, I was texting my girlfriend about if we had homework in the next class and I did get caught by the teacher. I had to call home which is as scary as walking in a dark empty haunted house. I got into trouble and lost my phone for 2 weeks and my girlfriend did too. It should just be allowed so that we don’t get into trouble. Being able to text in school would make school as easy as robbing a birds nest.

I have just heard of a system that is coming out and it is where you can put stories onto your phone. Then you just read the story off your phone. In my opinion, I think that this would be more fun than just reading a story out of the book. I would be exciting, fun, and energizing because it was using something I always had with me. Also, if you get to be using your phone in school the teachers can make rules like you would not be able to use your phone if you have a C or lower, so then you do not get as distracted and you would have to work really hard to keep your grades up. Another is that if you get a referral in the past month you can not bring your phone to any class. Finally, if you are late to class you can not use your phone for the day. That would keep me on track with all of my teachers.

Students should be able to text because then the teachers do not have to raise their voices they can just text the kids. Also, instead of using a planner they can put it all in their phone because they always have their phones with them. One more good thing about being able to text in school is because you could text your teacher or a friend them if you are sick and to get your work.

For safety, education, and fun reasons we should be able to use our phones in school. This way we can tell our parents that we love them if we are put in a dangerous situation, we could use if for learning, and we can be able to talk in the way that most teenagers uses now which is texing.

sassy said...
on Nov. 18 2014 at 10:45 am
Totally agree

AWESOMENESS said...
on Nov. 18 2014 at 10:44 am
I think that you should be able to text in school. HI MOM!!!!!!  (\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

shedd918 said...
on Jan. 31 2014 at 10:09 am
yeah texting should be allowed

AriShine GOLD said...
on Jun. 19 2012 at 3:40 pm
AriShine GOLD, Norcross, Georgia

"Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln

YES. Great point.

AriShine GOLD said...
on Jun. 19 2012 at 3:37 pm
AriShine GOLD, Norcross, Georgia

I wanted to comment on this article, but you said everything I wanted to say. I totally agree with you.

bluhs said...
on Jun. 19 2012 at 2:48 pm
bluhs, E, Alabama
School would certaintly be easier: You could have your friend text you the answers to a quiz or something. Unless you have a teacher with hawk eyes.

J1029 SILVER said...
on May. 6 2012 at 9:24 pm
J1029 SILVER, Tampa, Florida

Sing like no one is listening,
Dance like no one is watching,
Love like you've never been hurt and
Live like it's heaven on earth.

- Mark Twain

Truth be told, at my school we can text in my school

awesome said...
on Apr. 23 2012 at 12:37 pm
Ok first of all texting can give you a good experience for school. It would be quiter and be good for kids to get interaction. So just shut your mouth.

KatsK DIAMOND said...
on Mar. 1 2012 at 8:29 pm
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

I agree- and quite honestly, everyone has enough distractions without texting! Also, "being able to text in school would make school as easy as robbing a bird's nest"? Actually, it would make it harder, because you wouldn't focus as much and therefore, do worse than you would otherwise. It might improve your social life, but school should be a priority over texting!

on Dec. 26 2011 at 4:28 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

You would think they would try to survive first, before wasting time texting into their phone.

on Dec. 26 2011 at 4:25 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"If something bad happens": Unless you go to a school where there's some kind of local gang activity, I don't think there's anything to worry about. And who exactly are you going to text, your friend? How are they going to help? If you have a phone just speak into it. "Text answer on the board": So is speaking not cool now? Is communicating your ideas vocally just too difficult? "If they become sick": Schools have phones you know. If you have the concentration to text something to your parents, I'm questioning how sick you are... If you're sick, you tell the teacher, the school calls home, done. They have it taken care of. You're going to have to tell them anyway, since you can't just walk out. "Like going to the beach": What?! How does texting brighten up your day? Your school must really be a horrible place if texting makes everything that exciting. How can you compare texting to going to the beach?... I really don't understand your next paragraph. You broke the rules, fair and square. Based on your story you didn't know if you had homework, which means you either didn't do your homework in the first place or you don't have the guts to ask the teacher. We could take away the law about not stealing, because then no one would get into trouble, but see, things don't work that way. I don't really know what to make of "easy as robbing a bird's nests"... Are you saying that's a good thing? I really have a problem with the whole reading stories off your phone. Not only does it not make the story any more exciting, but it just makes people more glued to their phones and burn out their eyes. Not that people read much these days, sadly. Using phones for disciplinary action would probably work (makes me laugh though). However, for those us "oldies" who don't value our phones as closely as you might, it wouldn't devastate them too much to part with their phone. If my teacher asked for my phone, I'd hand it over and I'd probably have to be reminded by my parents to pick it up. But according to you most kids these days would have a meltdown and become depressed if they miss even 5 minutes with it. Has talking become old fashioned? Tell your parents you love them (with your voice) in the morning before you leave. Ask your teachers or your friends questions if you don't know something. If you have an answer, say it out loud.

on Dec. 4 2011 at 10:28 am
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I don't mean to offend you, but I know this comment will. Let me start by saying that the mechanics and grammar in this piece were terrible. Obviously, you don't pay enough attention in school. That alone convinces me that phones should not be allowed. Also, your reasons literally made me laugh out loud. To quote you, "For safety, education, and fun reasons, we should be able to use our phones in school." Fun reasons? Really? If you want me to even begin to think about taking you seriously, I suggest you do some research, back up your thinking, correct your grammar, and basically re-write the whole piece. My apologies for the offensive comments, although they were only constructive criticism, in truth.

on Jun. 11 2011 at 8:56 am
misswindsor BRONZE, Collingdale, Pennsylvania

"What Fresh Hell is this?"

I totally agree with you. The most funny part was, " Texting in school would make school fun like going to the beach on a warm summer day." School not suppose to be fun, you suppose to learn. P.S. if you do get sick in school it's call you go to the nurse or main office so they can call your parents.

krshiga said...
on May. 21 2011 at 12:40 pm
The argument is weak, the excuses are childish, and the grammar is enough to drive an english teacher mad. Please tell me that this is a joke.

jbieber said...
on May. 21 2011 at 12:36 pm
omg this was AMAZING, i reely liked this essay!!! <3 :) keep up the good work!! believe in urself!!! <3<3<3

anonymous said...
on May. 21 2011 at 9:05 am

I don't think texting should be allowed in school, and I'm only in the sixth grade! But everyone has their own opinion and I think people should respect the opinions of others. The ideas such as texting your parents in a dangerous situation are nice, but at the same time they are nonsensical. Again, everybody has their own opinion and that is just mine, and I am certainly not trying to say that the author of this article is wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the world that would agree on this article. 

And to others that are creating comments, keep in mind not to sabotage this poor author with hurtful words!

nshiga said...
on May. 17 2011 at 12:19 pm
If you were put in a dangerous situation, you wouldn't be able to text your mom or dad to say that you love them!! it's a nice  idea, but it just wouldn't work.

nikki said...
on May. 13 2011 at 11:56 am
I agree too!!!

on May. 12 2011 at 8:00 am
Dude i agree all the way

caleb said...
on May. 12 2011 at 7:59 am

i dont think kids should have cellphones in school BBBUUUTT i agree with the grade limit