Why Rap is the Deepest Form of Music | Teen Ink

Why Rap is the Deepest Form of Music

By KaziHussaini BRONZE, Foster City, California
KaziHussaini BRONZE, Foster City, California

Think about poetry, what words come to your mind? Elegant, smooth, graceful, and deep possible just came to your mind. Poetry is regarded as one of the most intelligent forms of art, so why isn’t rap music? Rap music is essentially just a modern day form of poetry, yet it gets a bad reputation. A majority of people believe that rap music is just a shallow excuse of music that only talks about drugs, money, and sex, but rap can be so much more than that. Rap can express the deepest and most pure emotions and thoughts of individuals. Unlike other genres of music, rap is focused on the lyrics primarily. This means that the artists spends the most amount of time on making sure that each line, each word, each syllable is perfect and conveys exactly what the artist wants to say. Rap can be a very engaging way of discussing political problems such as racism, laws, government and much more. Not only that, but rap can be used on a personal level and allows the rappers to discuss their deepest darkest fears, or accomplishments. Certain rappers focus on weaving magnificent tales in their songs, either fictional or real life events. This can compel the listener and lets them get invested in these stories. The intricate rhyme schemes can show a mastery of the english language, as rappers pick out the ideal word that fits the syllable count, topic, and the rhyme. On top of this, the rapper has to make sure that the song is interesting enough to engage people. The three most common forms of deep rap is personal, political, and motivational. An example of an extremely personal line is from Jay Z’s track “4:44” where he details his relationship with his wife, “I promised, I cried, I couldn't hold, I suck at love, I think I need a do-over.” An example of a politically charged rap lyric is in Joyner Lucas’s anti racism single “I’m not racist” where he raps, “I'm not racist, but there's two sides to every story, I wish that I knew yours.” Finally and example of a motivation lyric is from Eminem’s classic song “Lose Yourself” where he raps, “You better lose yourself in the music, the moment, you own it, you better never let it go.” These are just the surface of what rap music can convey with its lyrics. While it is true that there is an abundance of shallow rap music, that is certainly not the only rap there is, rap can convey the deepest of emotions, remember that the next time you think of rap music.