It Is Music, No Doubt About That | Teen Ink

It Is Music, No Doubt About That

By jordan.post SILVER, Tirana, Other
jordan.post SILVER, Tirana, Other

When I was thinking on what topic I was going to write about, I could not come up with anything. So I decided to search in Google to help me find a topic, until one of the topics caught my eye. “Why Hip-Hop Should Not Be Considered Music.” I then stared at my screen and thought, “The person who has written this definitely does not understand music, because if he did, he would have known better than to write something as ignorant as this.” This, however, did help me find a topic to write about, even though it was not what the website suggested. With this essay, I want to explain, that, Hip-Hop is not only just another genre of music. Hip-Hop is a reinvention of music; it is the result of creativity without boundaries, going against every rule of music, but creating something just as beautiful in the process.

While rap music has only truly reached pop status in the last few years, the history of Hip-Hop music, or, more commonly, rap music dates back to the late 70s, in which MCs (master of ceremonies) used to rhythmically speak, or rap, on top of beats that disk jockeys (DJ) played. The people that danced to it also danced in a unique style, known as the Hip-Hop dance. Rap, however, only became known nationwide when groups like N.W.A, Bone Thugz N Harmony, and artists such as Tupac Shakur and The Notorious B.I.G. became famous because of their explicit lyrics, which described what living in the hood was like.

Hip-Hop cannot be classified as one genre, as there are so many sub-genres, that some might even consider some of them to be different genres. In the present time, Hip-Hop is divided into two main sub-genres: Rap and Trap. Both of these sub-genres have their own history, and both of them have their own history, and origin. While rap music originated from the East and West coasts of the United States, trap music’s origin was in the hoods of Memphis, Tennessee and Atlanta, Georgia. While it did talk about life in the ghetto, it did not focus on topics such as police brutality; instead, it focused on what they did, such as drug dealings and shoot-outs. Trap music also has a slower tempo, and their beats have a larger focus on the sub bass. The main pioneers of this music genre is the group, Three 6 Mafia, and artists such as Gucci Mane, T.I., and UGK. Modern mainstream Hip-Hop is a derivative of the Trap sub-genre.

Hip-Hop is a perfect representation of people having no knowledge of music, but instead, having a huge amount of creativity. This led to them creating a new genre, a genre in which the rhythm, tempo, and many other aspects of the genre were completely different from the traditional type of music that people listened to back in the day. Also, the lyrical content, instead of talking about emotional things, talked about the terrible life in the ghetto, and not trying in any way to censor their message. This directly represented how they were not taught to speak their language beautifully, but were instead hardened by the life that they were living. Hip-Hop is not only music, but it is arguably one of the most influential types of music, with its completely new way of sound.