Why Mumble Rap Is Not a Problem | Teen Ink

Why Mumble Rap Is Not a Problem

Mumble Rap in hip hop is the new sound of popular music. However many people can not accept this or refuse to accept this fact. These people are typically referred to as “Old Heads” meaning people who have a mindset that is focused on the past and see the old wave of hip hop music as the only true form of the genre. This mindset is a mindset of individuals who refuse to accept the new generation’s sound and the art that the new art that is formed.

The truth is that every generation wants to say that they are the superior generation. Everyone wants to say that things were better when they were growing up and that every aspect of their youth is better than the latest generations. Throughout all of history the latest sound and the newest flows have always been seen as wrong by the people who listened to something different when they were the same age as the people who listen to the popularized music. Throughout the 1950s Rock and Roll music was seen as vile and disgusting music to the majority of people who didn’t didn’t have music like that to listen to when they were in their youth. Artists like Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry and Little Riche were despised by parents but loved by the teenagers and the youth of those generations growing up during these times. In modern society Elvis Presley is known as the king of Rock and Roll and one of the best musical artists of all time.

Who’s to say that this isn’t the  same direction that many “Mumble Rappers” would be planning on going on. The Migos are a very well known and established hip hop treo that is considered to be apart of the mumble rap wave and they have openly announced that they have goals to be making hip hop music for the next twenty years and they have goals of being enlisted in the Rock and Roll hall of fame, being remembered forever.

Some other mainstream mumble rappers like “Young Thug” and “Lil Uzi Vert” have another take on mumble rap. They are still technically rappers and are involved heavily in hip hop culture but they are able to manipulate their voices and change the ways that words sound so that they can make the words sound better when vocalized. They only mumble and exaggerate words to match the flow that they are trying to achieve better and overall improve the quality of their music in their eyes. In a sense they are able to use their voices as instruments that they can change the sound of depending on the mood of the song they are trying to produce.

While there are rappers like “Future” who do mumble the majority of their lyrics they do it in a way that still makes it hip hop music. It isn’t a new genre because the flow that the artist chooses to use is slightly different than what the majority of others would pick. A personalized and developed flow can make a song much more interesting and less generic and boring.

At the end of the day as long as Rap music is still done on Rap beats by Rappers it should always remain in the genre. Mumble Rap shouldn’t be seen as a negative but more as a step in a new direction, A step that people may love for generations to come. Classic Rappers like Tupac, Biggie Smalls, Nas and Jay Z will always be in the history books as the best of their time. It’s time for the new generation and the new sound of Hip Hop to step in.

I was inspired to write this from all of the hate on a genre that I really appreciate and everyone who has been just commenting on how they don't  consider artists like the Migos, Lil Uzi Vert and 21 Savage as musical artists.