Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer Review | Teen Ink

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer Review

By DiscountBobRoss BRONZE, Williamsport, Ohio
DiscountBobRoss BRONZE, Williamsport, Ohio

"When life gives you lemons throw them back and say 'I wanted a mango!'"

Star Wars: The Last Jedi’s first teaser trailer was recently released, and let me just say, it is AMAZING. The trailer for Star Wars: the Force Awakens was good, but this trailer was even better. The movie is set to release December 15 of this year two years after Episode 7 separated Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The title is very intriguing and has sparked a lot of conversation about the movie, because it suggests an end to what has been embraced throughout all of the previous films.

The trailer starts out with what looks to be a sky of stars, but we very quickly find out it is a piece of a flat rocky patch of ground. Rey is the first character to appear as she slams her hand down onto this patch of rock. She is out of breath and is wheezing. If you look closely, a black, cave-like entrance can be seen in the background.

We then hear our second character, Luke Skywalker, say "Breathe." The screen then pans out and shows several scenes from the ocean planet of Ahch-To including the mountainous island that was seen in the last few minutes of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This planet is home to the first Jedi temple and is where Luke resided after he went into exile. Again, we hear Skywalker speak. This time he says, “Just breathe." I interpret these words to be said towards Rey during some sort of training exercise.

Next, a scene shows Rey’s hand hovering over a rocky patch similar to the area in the first few seconds of the film. This time Rey appears to be using the force to lift several small pieces of rock. This is a major plot point of the third trilogy, because now Rey is able to control her use of the force instead of it being used subconsciously when she is facing great danger. During this scene, once again we hear Luke speak. This time Luke says, “Reach out." The screen blacks out as we hear Luke say, “What do you see?" At this point, it is obvious that this conversation is towards Rey and he is instructing her to try and sense what is to come.

The scene then changes to who is presumably General Leia Organa, played by the late Carrie Fisher for whom many, including myself, miss deeply. In this scene, Leia is looking at what appears to be the map of Luke Skywalker from The Force Awakens. In the background you can hear a musical piece from Rey's theme, and if you listen very closely you can hear what sound like Leia saying, "You're my only hope," a line from Star Wars: A New Hope, that is directed at Obi-Wan Kenobi. Later you can hear Rey say in response to Luke, "Light."

The next scene is one of my favorites. Ben Solo’s (Kylo Ren’s) shattered and smoking helmet on the floor of what appears to be an imperial ship or base. Vader’s breath and a piece of Kylo’s theme can be heard in the background. Kylo may have smashed his helmet in response to his father’s (Han Solo’s) comments on the bridge where Solo was killed. In this scene, Rey also responds to Luke with "Darkness."  In this, scene a very faint voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi says "Seduced by the dark side." This is an obvious reference to Kylo, who has turned to the dark side.

The next scene appears to be very integral to the plot of The Last Jedi. It shows what looks to be a face or hollow section of a tree that is holding several book. A faint light shines over the books that sets a mood of importance to these books. This tree could possibly be a force tree, as it seems to be in a protected area on an isolated island. Very faintly you can hear what may be Yoda saying "Surrounds us" and "Binds us." It is very hard to make out, and may be something else.

The next scene is related to the previous scene, a gloved hand that appears to be Luke, touches the cover of one of these books, which has a large Jedi symbol printed on the front. Next Rey says “Balance," which is most likely related to her saying “Light” and “Darkness” earlier, but a “Balance” of the two. This leads me to believe the book may have something to do with the teachings of the Grey Jedi, the Jedi who try to set a balance of light and dark sides of the force. This may mean that Luke could train Rey in the ways of the Grey Jedi. This would be very interesting, because as far as the major films go there has been little to no mention of the Grey Jedi.

The next scene is of a mountainous area of Ahch-To with what appears to be Luke training Rey with her saber. A rocky structure is near Rey with what may be a small shady figure atop it. The tide of the trailer quickly changes from its slow pace and methodical dialogue to a fast paced and battled centered flow of events.

In the next scene a desert landscape is seen with several ships that look similar to B-Wings. Each of the ships has an arm that scrapes the ground to reveal the bright red sand or dirt from beneath the pale tan color of the land. In the distance there appears to be some vehicles in the distance that seem to be AT-ATs.

In the next scene, Finn is in some type of capsule or medical tank possibly recovering from his previous injuries from his fight with Kylo on Starkiller base. We see Poe and BB-8 racing down a hall attempting to get to Poe’s X-Wing, but just as they arrive, his X-Wing explodes. We see a short clip of the Millennium Falcon with a dogfight with three TIE Fighters. Then we see a clip of Rey running very quickly in the dark with Anakin's lightsaber. It appears that Rey is running at someone. This person could possibly be Kylo Ren, as it is almost inevitable that they will have a saber duel in this episode.

Luke is once again heard in a scene that shows Kylo Ren without his helmet, which he presumably shattered before this scene. Kylo has a very aggravated look on his face as if he is staring someone down. He dawns his battle scar across his face from his earlier duel with Rey in The force Awakens. He has his lightsaber pointed in front of him, which I predict is pointed at Rey, which may prove that Rey and Kylo will have a duel in Episode 8.

Next is a familiar scene of Luke whose hand is placed on R2’s back. This scene appears to be a part of Rey's force vision from Episode 7. The scene depicts some sort of burning building, which I believe is part of a scene that depicts Kylo Ren killing Luke's past Jedi padawans. It may have been that Kylo raided where Luke resided in exile, killed his students, and burned it to the ground.

The next scene seems related to the previous one with Luke staring at a burning building, but I believe it is rather related to the scene in which Poe runs to his X-Wing. The scene depicts Phasma and several other clone troopers, in what I believe is apart of a boarding party onto the resistance ship that Poe was on.

The second to last scene of the trailer depicts a battle in space over a planet. The planet is not clearly shown, but the formation and blaster fire of the several resistance ships, X-Wings, and A-Wings fully embraces the fact that a fight is occurring. We then hear and see Luke in what appears to be a cave in the mountains on Ahch-To. This may be the same cave seen in the first scene with Rey panting, and this may be the cave that contains the tree that held the books from the earlier scene.

What Luke says may be the most important line in all of Star Wars. Luke says in a low voice, “It is time for the Jedi… to end." This may mean many things. It could be an impartial quote, it may mean that the original Jedi order is over with and it is time to change, or it may mean that in fact the Jedi need to end as a whole.

Whatever the meaning this trailer is amazing. It left me speechless with goose bumps. The first Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer gave a perfect amount of information. There is not too little information as to not reveal much, and not leave any room for predictions and speculation. The trailer also does not contain too much information that it spoils the fun and experience of the movie. I am completely satisfied with this trailer and I would give it a 10/10, because it leaves you wanting so much more. I cannot wait until the following trailer or trailers, and of course, to see the movie opening night!

I was inspired to write this piece because I LOVE Star Wars.