Teen Pregnancy Shows, What effect they have on you. | Teen Ink

Teen Pregnancy Shows, What effect they have on you.

November 4, 2009
By Laura123 BRONZE, Somerville, Massachusetts
Laura123 BRONZE, Somerville, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Champions keep playing until they get it right.
Billie Jean King


The number of teens in America that got pregnant in 2000 was over 820,000, which Is over eighty pregnancies per one thousand people. This is way too many teenage pregnancies.

The Secret Life of the American Teenager and 16 and Pregnant are two shows about pregnancies. In The Secret Life of the American Teenager, Amy is a sixteen year-old girl who gets pregnant. She keeps her baby and her parents support her through the whole pregnancy. After she has the baby they help her take care of it while she is at school. In 16 and Pregnant girls are in families that don’t raise their children well or sometimes don’t even care. Also in 16 and Pregnant the girls have to make many tough decisions: they either choose to have an abortion, choose to keep the baby, or choose to give it up for adoption. Many of the teens keep the baby, but either dropout of high school and find a part time job or just dropout and stay home with the baby. Many people dislike the shows, but I think they help teens understand the realities.

These shows show what it’s like to be a pregnant teen and they bring up a lot of questions. Am I going to lose my reputation? Am I going to drop out of school if I get pregnant? How am I going to take care of this child? What’s going to happen to me? These are all questions you are going to have to think about when you are pregnant or even before you get pregnant. These shows help you think of answers to all of these questions because they explain what it is like to be a pregnant teen.

For example, a girl never knows what her boyfriend is going to do. In The Secret Life of the American Teenager, the boyfriend breaks up with Amy and starts going out with her best friend. He does help out with the baby, but you don’t know if that will always happen. In 16 and Pregnant the boyfriends usually stick around, but every once in a while they will leave their girlfriend because they think its just too hard to take care of the baby. They either give the baby up for adoption or have a very hard time taking care of it.

In my own case, my birth mother had me when she was seventeen. At the time, she was married to my birth father who was nineteen and they had a one year old. Seven days after I was born I was given up for adoption. Within a year they broke up, and from then on my birth mother had to raise my birth brother on her own.

In The Secret Life of the American Teenager, they have breaks where they talk about how to prevent teen pregnancy. For example, they say you can have a talk about sex with your parents. They talk about using condoms and using birth control. They talk about abstinence, which is when you don’t have sex until you get married.

I think these shows about teen pregnancy are a good idea because they teach kids either how to deal with teen pregnancy or how to keep from getting pregnant. Most teenagers were just recently kids themselves and are not mature enough to raise a kid. Most teens don’t really know the consequences of their actors, but these shows bring those consequences right into their livi


The author's comments:
This Piece is about what I feel is a BIG deal in the world.