Is It Okay For Girls To Ask Guys Out? | Teen Ink

Is It Okay For Girls To Ask Guys Out?

November 19, 2016
By cathrynt BRONZE, Vicksburg, Michigan
cathrynt BRONZE, Vicksburg, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Okay friends, I need your help. This question has been on my mind, and I’d really like to hear what y’all think about it. Do you think it’s okay for a girl to ask a guy out? Now before you start jumping to conclusions and assuming that I’m asking because I’m about to ask a guy out; think again. I’m asking this because among my friends at least, I know there has been some pretty contrasting views on this subject. Some say “Yeah, I think that would be okay” and others reply “No, you need to let the guy lead.”

Now, I’m not talking about asking a guy out as in “Do you want to be my boyfriend?” in a romantic way kind of thing. I’m more talking about just casually going out for coffee as friends. This technically wouldn’t even be called dating. It’s just getting to know someone better on a friend level.

Do you think that it comes across as pushy or desperate if a girl asks a guy out? Why? For as long as I can remember it’s always been assumed that the guy asks the girl out, and I absolutely don’t have a problem with that. I find it encouraging and heart-warming when the guy takes the lead and initiates the relationship, and I also believe that it is biblical. But, I also don’t totally see a problem with girls asking guys out. After all, I know plenty of couples who the girl was the first to ask, and now they’re happily married.

So what’s your take on this? Do you think it’s acceptable for the girl to be the first to ask a guy out? I’d love to hear your thoughts!