Hopeless Romance | Teen Ink

Hopeless Romance

By YamiTenshi GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
YamiTenshi GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

A story writes itself, you just start it.

When I see those couples in the hallway of my school, the ones that just stand there in the middle of the hall and kiss, or those couples that have that dramatic “tear jerking” goodbye kiss when everyone knows that the star crossed lovers will see each other in an hour, they make me want to vomit.  I despise most couples for their over the top encounters in public.  They act like they’re in a romance flick, the ones where everyone whispers every five minutes and kiss every ten to keep those crocodile tears flowing.  Seeing some couples makes me angry in a way, like they’re rubbing their happiness in my face.  Before I go on, I am single hopeless romantic. 

Anyway, seeing couples in public irritate me to no end.  They just walk around hand in hand with tacky smiles plastered on their faces.  They drive me insane when they hug in class and then when you think you can finally get away from everything, they post just about EVERYTHING they do in social media.

“OMG look at what my boyfriend gave me today for absolutely NO reason!” a post will scream in my face.

“My girlfriend is the best, giving me an entire cake that’s pie flavored in the middle of class while asking me out to homecoming with balloons!  Isn’t she just grand?” another would ask.

I would feel my eyebrow twitch as I fight the urge to throw my computer out the window.  Then before you could even click the red X to get off the horrible “in your face” social media you see the comments section filled with “Congrats you two,” or even “Aw you’re just so cute together!”  To even rub salt in the wound, whenever you post something relatively cool, nobody even looks at it.  You just want to scream “I’m done with you people!” the next time you see them.

So I came to the reasonable conclusion that love is full of fluff, sorrow, and unnecessary drama that makes me want to throw books at couples.  Therefore, I don’t need it and will rather spend my time alone eating saltine crackers and playing video games.  Yes I’m hopeless when it comes to love but I also have a very strong intolerance to stupidity.

For example, I despise those couples who break up one day and get back together in the next 20 minutes.  Those relationships are filled with unnecessary drama that makes me, and other people wonder the same thing...why are they still together.  Just break up and move on with your lives for crying out loud. 

I don’t like couples because it makes me feel worse about being single and lonely.  It’s like most couples are deliberately trying to make me upset by telling me, without speaking, to get a boyfriend and you’ll be much happier with your lonely life.

“Right and then I’ll go off and win the lottery and find the answer for world peace,” I think in my head while shooting daggers at a random couple.

I have fallen into crushes before, but I’ve either fallen out of them, or have been let down. Sure, maybe I will change my mind one day when I meet the perfect guy.  But until that day comes, I’m a single girl who is just sick of relationships.

Rynn750 SILVER said...
Rynn750 SILVER, Somewhere, Wisconsin

"A cynical young person is almost the saddest sight to see, because it means that he or she has gone from knowing nothing to believing nothing." - Maya Angelou

When you find love, it's worth it, but you have to be able to see through all the fake relationships.

Mikayla_Toce SILVER, Wethersfield, Connecticut

"Look Before You Fall." -Taylor Swift

I loved your article and I totally understand how you feel.