Friends | Teen Ink

Friends

Why is it that every time you are down or feeling blue, you can always think of a person -- or maybe two that can cheer you right back up again? That’s because they are probably your best friends and that’s what they’re for. It’s part of their job. Whether you best friend is a dog, a human, or even an alien from outer space, they are still your best friend no matter what -- through thick and thin.
You need friends.

They will always be there.

You will always need them.

They will always need you.

A friendship is like an onion, it may stink and make you cry but it will be good in the end. When something in your life goes horribly wrong and you can’t turn to your parents or other friends because you’re not that close to them, who would you turn to? Your best friends because they will always make you feel better and all nice and fuzzy inside. Many people feel more comfortable talking their feelings out and need friends to vent. It’s not good to keep problems bottled up inside.

True friends are rare -- they don’t come up often. A real friend would never put you down, they would never hurt you, and they are definitely extraordinary. People of all ages not only want a real, true friend, but they need one. From personal experience I know that life is always better with friends because you know that someone always has your back and would never do anything untrustworthy. Real friends are friends through whatever even if that means helping you face heartache from a death, a break up, a disease -- the list goes on and on.

“Everyone needs a friend, it’s one of the few things that gets you through the years,” states my sister Karina.

Friendships may falter but you will never regret them. Like the saying goes ‘It’s better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all’. That is kind of like friendship, even if it did end badly still you can never erase the memories that you had.

Once while flipping through the channels I came upon something that showed me what the meaning of true friendship was. It was a documentary of one woman who was fighting cancer. One of her main concerns was chemotherapy I clearly remember her stating, “I don’t want to lose all my hair!” Her best friend told her, “Don’t worry, if you lose your hair I will lose mine with you. I’ll cut it all off.” When it was time for her chemotherapy she did lose her hair and as promised so did her best friend. She gave up her own hair when she didn’t have to just to make her best friend feel more comfortable with her own loss. I believe that is real friendship. To think of someone other than yourself and do something that will benefit them even if that means you will lose something in return.

Helene BRONZE said...
Helene BRONZE, Arvada, Colorado

when you look back 30 years from now you don't look at what you were wearing but what you learned

that is sooo true i love this. im having problems with my friends im stuck in the middle aand thats not a good place to be trust me. ive been there more than 4 times. when you find a good friend you want nothing to come in between you but something always does sometimes there not good results. me and my friend have been on and off all year long! its starting to drive me crazy lets hope this is the last time this happens. :O)