Marriage Equality | Teen Ink

Marriage Equality

In honor of legalized marriage equality in the United States recently, I found it would be appropriate to rant about it, and explain where I stand on the controversy.

Okay, so I am all for Marriage Equality, Gay Marriage, whatever you want to call it. Before I continue I want to make it clear that I am unbiased about the subject, I am straight.

On the real, I want to know why everything in the modern world is a controversy. Why is everything an argument? I find it particularly ironic how many of the people that are against gay marriage put phrases in their social media bios such as:
• just be happy
• do what makes you happy
• you do you
• be yourself
Yet, when it comes to the topic of Gay Marriage those life concepts no longer apply. What their bios should say:
• just be happy… unless gay marriage makes you happy
• do what makes you happy… but you can’t marry who you want
• you do you… unless you’re gay, then don’t do you
• be yourself… unless I disagree with who you are

My personal favorite is how we as Americans find it morally wrong that in some areas of the world, arranged marriages are still going on. That’s SOOOO WRONG, right?
But what separates marriage inequality from arranged marriages? Really, think about it. Either way you can’t marry who you desire.
With marriage inequality in the United States, marrying your soul mate depends on your sexuality and what society deems appropriate.
With arranged marriage around the world, marrying your soul mate depends on your social ranking and what your family deems appropriate.
Recently on social media, remarks have been surfacing such as “It’s Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve,” and “Gay marriage may be legal in the United States, but not in heaven.”
Me? I am Christian. I believe in God and what he stands for. But I want to propose this question in your minds: 
What about the homosexuals that aren’t Christian?
What about the homosexuals that don’t believe in Heaven?

Now we all believe in religious freedom and once again, we all think it’s SOOOO WRONG that people were once persecuted for their religion, and EVERYBODY thinks the Holocaust was disgusting, right?

So if we all believe in this ‘religious freedom’ why do we all have this concept of there being a double standard for gay people? Everybody is supposed to live their life by the guidelines of YOUR RELIGION?

Hmmm…

I’d like to end this rant by disclosing that I feel everybody is allowed to have an opinion. I rant about topics, obviously I strongly believe people should have their own opinions. I am not, by any means, saying that people who are against gay marriage are wrong. The sole purpose of this rant was to make people against gay marriage think a little deeper, and possibly open up their minds to other perspectives on this controversy.

A dig-deeper question before you go:

If your best friend were gay, and he/she watched you walk down the aisle with you husband/wife and was so very supportive and happy for your marriage, and he/she had a big heart and a kind soul, would you still believe that God would not accept them? Would you still not want them to marry their soul mate the way you did yours?

I was inspired to write this piece by my gay uncle, who is as gay as they get and he's just one of my favorite people ever.

MadisonACS said...
MadisonACS, Alexander, New York

I want to inspire people. I want someone to look at me and say, "because of you, I didn't give up."

I'm sure there are more reasons as to why people oppose it, these are just some that I have seen circulating, and my response to those oppositions.

RightWingExtremist BRONZE, Riverton, Utah

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

Let me ask you this, do you think that the only objections to ga.y marriage are religious and/or just based on bigotry?