Social Media Breakup | Teen Ink

Social Media Breakup

April 6, 2015
By @aaronKID BRONZE, St.louis, Missouri
@aaronKID BRONZE, St.louis, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Social Media,

   
     There’s no easy way to put what I’m about to say and I feel terrible for saying it, but I think we should break up. I’m sorry. Out of respect,I need to address each of you individually: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Vine. I hope you don't mind, but this is the easiest way to explain to you why we should see others.
   
    Thanks Instagram, for your stunning filters to enhance pictures. You’ve also managed to make thousands of girls cry because of your intuitive comments area.  Without your help, kids wouldn't be able to stay in touch with their friends in other states, countries or towns. You also added the "direct message" section. Sadly, that section made millions of kids stay home because they felt bullied and no one knew because it was private. So, this is goodbye Instagram, maybe Facebook will make me feel better.

     Hellllooo Facebook! You have given everyone an easier way to play games or even set up fundraisers through your creative interface. Not only did you start the big social media outbreak, but you also brought us new way to stalk people! Since you’ve gotten hacked many times, people have lost their identity, address and even credibility if the hacker posts their "interesting ideas" on your page.  You’ve helped millions. Hmm...the more I think about it the more I’m changing my status to ‘single’.

      Salutations, Twitter. The fact that you make people feel they can tell you what happened that day in less than 140 characters is both good and bad; Limiting the amount of words we can use, you force us to be creative with what we day. On the down side, this has led to one major problem: Take away grmr. With millions of users worldwide it's never been easier to get the news or the inside scoop about what’s going on around the world, or just in my city. Since many of the tweets are mean, you will often find kids repeating them as a joke...only most of the time, they seem like insults.Okay maybe I shouldn’t retweet anymore of what you say, I’m going to Snapchat

      

Ahh, Snapchat, I can't forget about you! You are were a genius. Who else could give me such a fun way to share selfies and videos. But, what about all the ...racy photos I've heard about!?!? I can't even imagine a world (now) without teens losing privacy of their privates even though the pictures we send disappear completely after ten seconds or less. Lately you have brought us live feeds of festivals or big events and concerts, which is a one of a kind experience, but after the reports that two unknown men posted a video of a girl being raped, I feel our relationship is only going last 10 seconds more, bye bye.

   

Making a Loop over to Vine. In the two years you've been around, you have taught millions of teens (even kids) that cursing is cool, being somewhat racist is swag and last but not least, you have taught the social media world that videos make an impact. In 2013 one might remember the suicide bombing in Turkey; you might also recall the Turkish journalist getting the aftermath on multiple "Vines". Then again you might recall that other vine making jokes at the idea that, "black people can make a beat out of anything" while showing a fan creaking as it spins. Lastly, I feel that you can make anyone, including me, smile with all the funny content scattered within you. Tragically, your humor is mostly crude humor, making me laugh (sometimes) at others expence. Though I do want to congratulate you on being the leading cause in making children cuss...a lot. I don't think I've gone a week without hearing "damn" from a six year old, while he is reciting a Vine. Because of that, I know we can’t keep repeating us. It just has to be.

    

Okay Social Media, now can you see why we need a break? I’ll miss all the humor you bring me and all the people I stay in touch with. Also how you gave my sister an easy way to make new friends. Hmmm...maybe we can still stay together. Perhaps you have helped me more than hurt me. I’ll change my status back to ‘taken.’
   


                                                              
Logging Out,
Aaron 

Comments:

@aarowrit: What a stupid post :P