What's Age Got to do With it? | Teen Ink

What's Age Got to do With it?

An age limit is put on many things in this world. Just because there is no age limit on something doesn't mean that many people don't have opinions that there should be age-limits on some things. One thing that is a constant debate on age is love. It seems like there is a starting age and ending age on when it is acceptable to love someone these days. The age limits vary depending on where in the world you go, but lets focus on America. When an elder hears a sixteen-year-old say their "in love," they usually spit back some smart remark about how they don't know what love is. But really that elder isn't in the sixteen year olds shoes and doesn't see things through his/her eyes. When most people hear of a sixty-year old dating many find the idea absurd, but really why should their chances at love be shot down just because of their age? When people see two eight year olds hugging they think its cute, when the kids grow up to be teens it's not so sweet anymore in many parents eyes. Every emotion exists no matter who you are or what age you are, love is an emotion just like happiness or hate. I don't think that adults should be so judgmental of "young love," or "new love," (for elderly.) Some things have an age requirement or limit, when it comes to love however what’s age got to do with it?

on Jul. 4 2022 at 6:44 pm
ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii
@Luxy_Reese I couldn't agree more. This article speaks the truth that most adults don't want to hear. They forget that technically with every generation we grow smarter, we know a little more than those before us, and we have the tools to create better fuller lives.

on Apr. 28 2018 at 11:13 pm
GirlWithAViolin BRONZE, Gray Summit 63039, Missouri

"Why worry? If you've done the very best you can, worrying won't make it any better."
~Walt Disney~

This is so true! And I completely agree. This topic has been on my mind a lot lately, and this goes right along with my thoughts on the subject! Love has no age limit!

on Aug. 11 2013 at 2:07 pm
Luxy_Reese PLATINUM, Grand Forks, North Dakota

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

sorry for the double post...

on Aug. 11 2013 at 2:06 pm

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

I completely agree with this.  Love isn't something that you know is right or wrong.  Love is adoring the way he holds you or feeling so incredibly lucky that she's yours.  As teenagers, we already have so many skeptics, so make people telling us what we can and cannot do, what we know and do not know.  And now, people have the AUDACITY to add love to that list?  "You can't love because you don't know what love is."  Its time to change that.

on Aug. 11 2013 at 2:02 pm

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

I agree completely with this.  Love isn't something that you know is right or wrong.  Love is something like, adoring the way he holds you, or simply revaling in the fact that she is yours.  As teenagers, we already have so many people telling us what we can and cannot do, what we know and do not know.  And now, people have the AUDACITY to say 'Love' is something we don't know?  Time to change that.

on Mar. 5 2013 at 8:24 pm
SJUYannick BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland

"I'm not conceited or anything,but I'm the best person in the whole wide world" -Joshua Lucker

I do not believe in teenage love. I'm pretty sure at least 98% of teenage couples do not get married. teenage love is just your hormones acting up. You can't love someone unless you've lived with them and everything. It's all a lie. And all you people who think you're in love. Don't kid yourself just yet.

on Jan. 21 2013 at 5:27 pm
plathfanatic GOLD, Elmont, New York

"If there is a god, I bet he looks down at us and laughs at our foolish ways."

I love this. My parents have been together since they were 16/17. They are now 46/47 and still going strong! Age means nothing when it comes to love and when you find the right person, thats simply it!

on Oct. 21 2009 at 5:48 pm
Precious BRONZE, Troy, Michigan
I completely agree. I'm fourteen && in love with my boyfriend && all my Mom says is...You don't know what love is!