Saving Our Shoreline | Teen Ink

Saving Our Shoreline

May 22, 2013
By MariaD BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
MariaD BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

As a child I loved going to the beach. My cousins and I would go every Sunday and we would spend hours either playing in the sand or bathing in the water. Our parents always told us to respect the beach and to care for it, but not it seems as beaches are becoming more and more uncared for. Caring about the shoreline isn’t really anyone’s priority these days, with bigger issues in the world such as education and poverty. It might not be one of the biggest issues we face today, but if the way we care for our shoreline continues to go how it’s been going, who knows how our beaches will look in the future? Without beaches like Pipeline in Oahu, Hawaii surfers wouldn’t have places to surf. Beaches are a great place to go to have fun and relax; we need to save our shoreline so future generations can enjoy the beach like we do.
Some may argue that there are some advantages to not saving our beaches. In the process of trying to save the shoreline, beaches could be temporarily closed down. This would decrease the tourist rates in tropical areas, as many places depend on their beaches to attract tourists. Beaches could also get more polluted and have more extinct species dying due to a disturbance in their natural habitat. Also, saving our shoreline isn’t such a necessity as for example, education. While trying to protect the shoreline we could actually harm ourselves, as there is a great amount of dangerous and unknown species in the ocean. That money that would be used to clean and protect the shoreline could be used to feed the poor, help the needy and give an education to those who need.
Beaches attract not only locals, but tourists too. Keeping the shoreline clean and unpolluted can increase the tourism in a lot of places, which could also produce more jobs! When thinking about the shoreline we can’t forget that there are animals that live there and that we should care for them too. Cleaning the beaches of trash would help the animals that live in shoreline as some animals might try to eat the trash. There are about one million living things that need the ocean as their home!
In my conclusion, the shoreline needs to be protected. Saving the beaches can start with anyone. One quick solution would be to clean up the beach after you’re done attending it. Although, there are other things that need to be done in this world, saving our shoreline is defiantly one of them.