Legalize Marijuana for Recreational Use | Teen Ink

Legalize Marijuana for Recreational Use

By Andi-Mane SILVER, Tirana, Other
Andi-Mane SILVER, Tirana, Other

The year is 2018. We have quantum computing, artificial pancreases and (almost) genetic fortune-telling. About 61% of Americans are in favor of legalizing recreational marijuana (Geiger). Yet people are still being jailed for smoking it at their own risk and desire. Many people fail to realize the benefits of legalizing it, as they immediately dismiss its use as “immoral” or “ridiculous”. Recreational marijuana needs to be legalized as it will boost the economy, end the racially-biased meaningless “war on drugs,”, and will help reducing drug-related crime (all while assisting the downfall of illegal drug organizations).

The tax revenue that will be generated if recreational marijuana is legalized is inconceivable. In Colorado, for instance, recreational marijuana is legalized, taxed, regulated and sold in dispensaries. The state of Colorado alone collected $135 million in taxes in 2017 from marijuana (Krishna). If the same was done in larger states, billions of dollars could be collected. Although many might argue that generating revenue isn’t the most important aspect, the money from these taxes could go to services that people are interested in, such as schools and hospitals. Marijuana would also create hundreds of thousands of jobs if legalized. The legal marijuana industry in Colorado created 18,000 full-time jobs in 2015 alone (Krishna). If marijuana were to be legalized in the US, an estimated 782,000 jobs would be created immediately (Meza). Marijuana legalization would also save the taxpayer a tremendous amount of money. Marijuana prohibition in the US currently costs taxpayers $41.8 billion dollars a year (Hardy).

Except for the economic opportunities which marijuana legalization offers, it also would help fix a broken and racially-biased law-enforcement system. The so-called “war” on marijuana has disproportionately affected communities of color over the years. Although marijuana use is roughly equal among African Americans and whites, African Americans are 3.73 times as likely to be arrested for marijuana possession ("Report: The War On Marijuana In Black And White"). In the state of Illinois, for example, African Americans make up 15% of the total population, but account for 58% of the marijuana possession arrests ("Report: The War On Marijuana In Black And White"). The racial disparities that exist in marijuana prohibition enforcement are clear. If marijuana were to be legalized, it would assist in fixing the racist system that is in place.

If marijuana were to be legalized, drug-related street crimes would be severely reduced and drug organizations and cartels would suffer a major loss. According to FBI crime statistics, violent crime in the state of Washington (where marijuana is legal) decreased in the years after legalization (Santos). Although many may say that the cartels may diversify their product and sell other drugs, a study from the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) has showed how legalization in Colorado and Washington has cost Mexican drug cartels an estimated $2.7 billion in profits ("Report: The War On Marijuana In Black And White"). A Mexican marijuana farmer was even quoted saying that they’ll be “running into the ground” if marijuana were to be legalized (Burnett).

Legalizing recreational marijuana is the way to go. Many progressive countries and states are moving towards legalization after seeing the success that it brings. Marijuana legalization would help by boosting the economy, ending the racist and worthless “war” against marijuana, and reducing crime rates.