For the United States' Heroes | Teen Ink

For the United States' Heroes

March 12, 2018
By 8oleniczak SILVER, Harford, Wisconsin
8oleniczak SILVER, Harford, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

You are a hero, to our country and to me. I am so thankful you were brave and served in the military to keep us, the people of the United States safe. Hero, is not an exaggeration-you risked your life for our country and that means more than I can put into words. And I just wanted to write you this letter to remind your of how valued and important you are.

My great grandpa served in the Navy. His name is Arthur; I can still remember when I was young and he told me stories about war with his raspy voice, maybe you knew him? I also wanted to add the extreme amount of respect that I have for you and I am glad that you made it home safe.

In school, we have been watching videos about veterans that went to the Honor Flight, where you are now, and I thought it was a great thing to do. It shows how much people value and appreciate you and your time. I have been notified in class that most men that were drafted to war were 18 years old. I can relate to that because I am almost 18 and I could never imagine leaving my home and fighting. That just shows how you and all the other veterans are strong willed, heroic, and brave.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but whenever I see war movies or even see clips at school, it hits me- I feel emotional toward what had happened and for those who have been lost. I can’t imagine what you have went through but I appreciate you. You are one of the most bravest among us. Lastly, thank you, God bless you.


The author's comments:

This piece in for all the veterans who had to choice but to go to war at a young age and fight to keep us free. This is a thank you to one and can refer to all veterans. They are important and we wouldn't be the country we are without them and their undying bravery.