What Matters for North Korea... Seriously | Teen Ink

What Matters for North Korea... Seriously

By shimjhyun12 BRONZE, Wonju, Other
shimjhyun12 BRONZE, Wonju, Other

In 1984, George Orwell conjured up a world where the only colors to be found were in propaganda posters. Such is the case in North Korea: images of the dictators are seen in vivid colors, radiating fluorescent light in divine glorification. The world's spotlight is increasingly focusing in on this unique lone wolf as it continuously meddles with nuclear arsenal affairs despite the international community's desperate calls to bring it to terms. Among the midst of aggressive threats of "pressing the red button" and ongoing debates on who's is bigger between world superpowers, South Korea's role as a neighboring mother country has become substantially significant to resolve the North's nuclear programs through international diplomacy, peaceful dialog, and mutual cooperation.

Our brother country up North is a regime that survives on peoples' fear and attention to compensate for its vulnerability. Without its constant global threats concerning imminent destruction, it will only stumble into the harsh barrier of neglection by the international community. Under the surface, this phenomenon sits enrooted at the core of North Korea's malicious intimidations to ensure safety and survival of an already crumbling economy. As the ambassador of North Korea to the UN has repeatedly stated, threats and provocations will do nothing but infuriate the country and backfire to result in catastrophic consequences. This indicates clearly that the North, if not provoked or attacked, will remain largely to themselves, just as a bee not striking even with its lethal sting if not intimidated first. Hence, although a certain degree of sanctions for the purpose of preventing future nuclear weapon usage and cutting funds can be appropriate if moderate, we must embrace the inevitable reality that forcing the regime to completely denuclearize is not only impossible but impractical.

If this is so, then what must we do? Once global superpowers realize that North Korea's nuclear arsenal, though deadly and potentially dangerous, will only be used by the North as a last resort in life threatening intimidations, the natural and unavoidable solution is through tranquil talks. As South Korea is the closest country neighboring the North, it also possesses the largest potential to derive friendly relations through peaceful diplomacy. For instance, the South and North have cooperated on numerous occasions in the past, including a joint North-South table tennis team for the Olympics and Kaesong Industrial Complex working as a unitary system aiding the industry of both, which favorably opens up the possibility of potential negotiations in the future as well. Even Kim Jung-un's annual New Year's address conveyed a conciliatory tone that expressed his optimism for open dialogue and vow not to attack unless the country's peace was threatened.

As such, there is still a silver lining to a seemingly gloomy future if managed accordingly and appropriately. Soothing measures of repeatedly coaxing North Korea from its nutshell such as working together as one nation in the Olympics, consistent talks for inter-Korean cooperation at international organizations such as the UN, producing media related to positive reconciliation between the divided countries, and endorsing the re-opening of Kaesong Industrial Complex are just the tip of the iceberg. In a truly remarkable compromise even just a few days ago, the North agreed to send an unprecedented size of delegations to the Winter Olympics in Pyeonchang, marking a milestone for international relations. These monumental agreements constitute just a few of the many roles South Korea can lead as a pioneer in novel relationships with the North.

There is no doubting the fact that North Korea will pose significant danger to all if left untreated or intimidated. Yet along with the turn of a new year, we stand at the crossroads of possible reunification with the change of a new tide. It is crucial to realize the North have never before been more willing to engage in peaceful dialog and open up its firmly shut doors. The time is now, and only now, to act.

Imminent danger could be upon us, so we must know how to react and what matters.