Where Is Public Safety? | Teen Ink

Where Is Public Safety?

By raynekay0802 BRONZE, Augusta, Kansas
raynekay0802 BRONZE, Augusta, Kansas

As of 2016, 17,250 people were murdered. In larger cities, homicides have rose by 20.3 percent and all violent crimes increased by 7.2 percent. A population fewer than ten thousand people, murders rose by 8.4 percent, according to F.B.I. data. A lot of people are afraid to leave their homes due to mass shootings, random killings, and the monsters that live among us. Sex trafficking is still happening, girls get picked up off the streets and sent to odd countries to be sold. The fear of being sold, killed, or losing a family member or friend is so intense that people don’t know how to respond. People wonder where the cops are, and what they are doing. They want to know why people are dying and why we can’t feel safe in our own homes.  Chicago, for example, has the highest murder rate in the United States. People are dying in the streets and they feel like no one is doing anything to help. According to an agent from the Chicago Federal Bureau of Investigation branch, “In Chicago we are also getting down to the street level to address violent crime, and we are specifically going after the trigger-pullers and shot-callers.” With all of the crime, how are we supposed to feel safe when it doesn’t seem like anything is being done to help us? We are being told that they are doing everything they can and the rates just keep going up. People keep going missing, getting murdered, and being sold into God knows what. Where did public safety go? Why are we still living in fear?