Is Immigration a Good or Bad Thing? | Teen Ink

Is Immigration a Good or Bad Thing?

By vasilinamix BRONZE, Saint Petersburg, Other
vasilinamix BRONZE, Saint Petersburg, Other

My own opinion is immigration is not a bad thing, but at the same time, it is not a good thing in some situations. On the one hand, people should be able to travel around the world, to learn more about different countries, their culture, traditions, religions or cuisines, or maybe people become migrants for love, study, or fleeing war or persecution (refugees). But there must be an important rule – people should do it legally, with a passport, visa, and other necessary documents. I think that every country should create special laws for migrants, then there will be no disagreements and disputes. It would be the right decision, because it would be legal. But on the other hand, immigrants take jobs from people living in their own country. Many people are worried because of this, and do not welcome immigrants.

Some people are against economic migration. Economic migrants are people who move to another country in search of better living conditions or job opportunities. Some people argue that people should be able to take jobs anywhere, regardless of where they were born, and immigration boosts economic growth, meets skill shortages, and helps create a more dynamic society. “Other people think that it is a bad idea either for the place the migrants are going or the place they are leaving. They think immigrants flood across borders, steal jobs, and are a burden on taxpayers and threaten indigenous culture.” These examples show that everyone has their own opinion. I am not sure that my country (Russia) welcome immigrants. I know and heart that sometimes some people insult immigrants. Also, immigrants in my country can’t have a prestige and highly paid work, only a low-class work, for example, janitor, car washer and so on.

There are a lot of research saying that economic migration boosts overall economic growth. According to the World Bank, international migration helps to increase world GDP, as it allows workers to move to where they are most productive. For countries with low birth rates immigrants can be particularly important. According to the OECD, migrants have been responsible for 47% of the increase in the American workforce and 70% of the increase in the European workforce over the last 10 years.

As result, I can’t give an unambiguous answer to the question: ‘Is immigration good or bad thing?’, each country has a different way, it depends on the economic situation in the country. I mean that in large countries with many jobs, bur few people, immigrants help to improve economic level. But in countries with high overpopulation, for example, China, immigrants on the contrary prevent people living in this country taking job.

I wrote this article, because I want that other people know about my own opinion