Internet (dis)Service of America | Teen Ink

Internet (dis)Service of America

By NickEnge BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
NickEnge BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

I get home, sprint up to my room and immediately begin to work on my homework, extracurricular activities, and stream music. Like most other citizens of countries, I enjoy an internet that is unlimited and at a fairly low cost. However, my schedule and that of millions of americans could possibly be changing, and sooner than you might think. Currently in America we are undergoing a change of parties in our whitehouse that is putting the free internet at risk; this change may end up hurting consumers by limiting how many people get internet that is “broadband” speed and at a reasonable price.

The Federal Communications Commission is a part of the federal government that monitors communication companies and if those companies are breaking a law, they send them an exorbitantly large bill in the mail. One of the most controversial laws passed by the FCC and held up in court to apply to internet providers, is a bill commonly referred to as net neutrality. According to the FCC’s own website it's telecommunications law has 3 parts.  In Title 2 SEC. 202. [47 U.S.C. 202] of the telecommunications act it describes what is illegal for ISPs, otherwise known as internet service providers to do, charges and services, and the possible fines for breaking this law. It states , “ It shall be unlawful for any common carrier to make any unjust or unreasonable discrimination in charges, practices, classifications, regulations, facilities, or services for or in connection with like communication service, directly or indirectly, by any means or device, or to make or give any undue or unreasonable preference or advantage to any particular person, class of persons, or locality, or to subject any particular person, class of persons, or locality to any undue or unreasonable prejudice or disadvantage.” This law keeps IPS’s from choosing who gets to access what, who gets faster internet (or slower), and that ISP’s must treat every request for internet the same. How could a law that sounds so perfect for America be so dividing in America? The answer isn't that simple. Net neutrality is actually quite good for most of America.

According to a study done by the FCC on January 29th 2016, they state that 10% of all americans lack access to broadband internet, numbered at 34 million people. 1.1 million lack access to any internet at all. The biggest issue for ISPs is extending their services to more americans. According to ExtremeTech in “Woe is ISP: 30% of Americans can’t choose their service provider“ on March 14th 2014 almost 30% of americans have access to only ONE ISP, and 37% have access to only two options. These numbers mean a few things, first, the protections set that no company may require unreasonable amounts of money for internet access protects many americans today. Next it says that ISPs need to expand their services to more americans and that many Americans have less than stellar service in their homes.

America needs for companies to treat all internet equally in such a way so that progress is not reduced. When we look at America’s internet services the problems start appearing. Companies tried to block other services or apps to those who use their internet which is a big deal for those who have only 1-2 options for who gives them internet. What we begin to see is a reduction of our first amendment rights. We see a loss of freedom of the press, and a loss of our rights to freedom of speech. With this law it disallows companies to put limits on what can be said or done with the internet that they provide. This is a necessity that ensures no discrimination or abnormally large prices for a person, or company based on who they are, or what they do.

Companies have tried to block what can be accessed. According to the Wall Street Journal in “Verizon Blocks Google Wallet on New Smartphones“on February 6th 2016, Verizon blocked certain competitors apps from being used on their consumers phones. Because of the FCC, consumers were able to sue Verizon over this issue and win the banned applications back. Essentially, Verizon was limiting free speech by blocking certain apps and choosing who/what could use the internet.

However, when companies can only charge a certain amount for what they can provide, and can only provide a certain amount to any person or company, the companies trying to develop broadband internet between different cities and small towns are finding it more and more difficult to do so. Large companies have to spend a lot of money to develop areas and by limiting what ISPs can earn from large companies who want faster internet, consumers will see a delay in the production and extension of cable internet.

The free internet is in a rough place right now, and even now as the original net neutrality is getting edited in the near future, I don't think my schedule of homework and Spotify will change too much. Life in first world countries revolves around the internet too much in the 21st century for consumers to suddenly not use it. Many Americans have limited access to internet, one provider, or even no internet at all. Combine this with the fact that many companies want to promote their products over other companies or even completely stop those who compete with them, and you get a mix that doesn’t sit well with consumers. Companies are finding it harder to expand to small towns and people in less populated areas because of limits set on them. The FCC wants to make broadband internet use a basic right for every american, yet how can it be a right for only 80% of America? The FCC definitely has a place in monitoring internet providers, that is still clear. The question is how can legislators fix the law without creating an opportunity for companies to abuse consumers or companies in such a way that monopolies and blocking of free speech occur; this has to happen while giving every American their “basic” equal rights, which is what the FCC and America, seem to be heading for as a whole.