Kashmir Is Caving In | Teen Ink

Kashmir Is Caving In

April 26, 2017
By sanskar.bhakta BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
sanskar.bhakta BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I look back at my young years, around when I was about 5 or 6 years old, I loved playing with toys. Having many toys, I would play with many toys that I had: spider-man action figure, stuffed animals, small piano, and kung fu panda action figures. That’s just to name a few. And like every little kid I had some that I’ve never played with. Then, a friend or cousin would come over and they would ask if they could play with one of my toys. I would say no because I want my toys all to myself. Now imagine this on a bigger scale between 2 nations. I am referring to a raging war in the eastern hemisphere, the battle for Kashmir. Kashmir is a small land piece of land disputed between India and Pakistan. This war has been going on for about 70 years. With this war going on for this long and affecting both countries in negative ways, many citizens and analysts are left wondering, what is the fate of Kashmir? What is the best decision for Kashmir? So many questions and no answers. Let’s analyze the facts.

 

Before talking about what Kashmir means to both countries, We’ll go over the history. How did this war start? Before India and Pakistan became their own countries, both were ruled under british influence. When both countries gained their independence from the empire in 1947, there was a unsettled piece of land between Pakistan and India. This piece of land was given the name of Kashmir. After a few months, Kashmiris voted to sign with India because it offered more military protection. Only issue is Pakistan didn’t recognize the agreement as a legal document, thus beginning the first war over Kashmir. The first Kashmir war lasted close to 2 years. I ended when the two countries agreed on a Cease Fire and split Kashmir in two parts, one part controlled by India and the other by Pakistan. This “border” was called the Line of Control. The Line of Control worked up until about 1965. At that time, the Pakistani troops crossed the Line of Control looking to take India controlled Kashmir, thus sparking a 2nd war over Kashmir. This war lasted until about 1972 when the Simla Agreement was signed for a second Line of Control. This second attempt didn’t work to well and there have many negotiations and mini-battles since the Simla Agreement. It is obvious that both countries want kashmir all to themselves, but why? What is the reason they want Kashmir all to themselves? What are the point of views of each country?
India’s point of view of Kashmir can be considered selfish. They believe that they are inseparable from Kashmir and that Kashmir signing with India for protection is was totally legal. Not only does India feel like Kashmir was made for them, but also, according to the Telegraph in an article last revised in September 24, 2014, Kashmir is thought to be a symbol of “Unity of Diversity”. It is also evident in the constitution of India because all minorities have the same rights and equality as indians. Pakistan’s ISI is thought to be the main enemy in the battle because they take advantage of the undecided Kashmir by transporting arms and money and the Taliban also control a majority of Pakistani Kashmir. But in Pakistan’s eyes, it is the opposite. They believe that Kashmir should rightfully be their’s because the majority of the population is Muslim. Pakistan also believes in Islamic Unity and that Kashmir would be part of Pakistan if they were given a democratic vote. Pakistan is also actively seeking third party help from other countries. Its main allies are China and the CPEC, China-Pakistan Economic corridor, and the Middle East. With Pakistan getting more help from the outside, they can be skewed in a way to affect the helping countries. India and Pakistan have different opinions on the how Kashmir affects them. But what is the best course of action for Kashmir? Many people have many different opinions, but after analyzing all the information, here is what I think.


Kashmiris have had a dark history. They have been embedded in war since their land existed. Many kashmiri children have no sense of hope for the future. So what is the way to make peace between Pakistan and India that makes both happy? How do relight the people of Kashmir? Many people have had their opinions. An article on The Economic Times last updated on January 26th, 2016 says that if India and Pakistan make peace, Kashmir will benefit from that tremendously. The land trying to be acquired will not be all torn up and kashmiris will not be living in fear each and every night. Another article posted by the Guardian on September 10th, 2010 say that if that no matter what happens to Kashmir, it will be one of the biggest global threats because it will produce the most amount of terrorists. The Pakistani controlled area has already many Al Qaeda terrorists everywhere. So what is best for Kashmir and kashmiri citizens? After looking at all the evidence and facts and opinions of others. The safest thing to do is to have Kashmir be its own, independent nation. It seems dangerous because of all its influence from Al Qaeda, but it’s really not. If Kashmir becomes independent, Pakistan will no longer be able to transport weapons and other goods for the terrorist group to steal and use against kashmiris. And if Kashmir becomes independent, it can have a strong trade bond with India and ally with them instead of being part of India. That gives Kashmiris the freedom to form their own government and set their own rules. The trade bond will also allow kashmiris to fight back against the Al Qaeda terrorists because their influence is in Pakistan's side and if India supplies the people closest to them, they can take down the group. Kashmir can also create a trade bond with Pakistan when kashmiris fight off Al Qaeda and that will slowly start bring Pakistan and India to terms with each other. The possibilities are endless.


If that little kid that was very stingy with his toys would have just shared some of his toys, he would have been able to make everyone happy. Now that little kid has grown up and realized how greedy he was. India and Pakistan are on that journey of growing up and learning that they are being greedy and let Kashmir be it’s nation. Kashmir wants to be free, it only takes a little time. Kashmir’s independence could possibly be the first step to world peace. If India and Pakistan can overcome their differences, then it is possible for any countries. Pakistan and India have a great history of rivalry, everything from sports to ethnic preferences. India and Pakistan are two countries that have nothing in common. One could even compare it to the relationship between US and Russia. The only difference is the US and Russia agree on certain issues and topics. India and Pakistan to not agree on virtually anything. The only thing those nations can agree on is that they love cricket. Sidetracking aside, if India and Pakistan can settle a major issue such as border lines, the US and Russia can come to a consensus of their opinions on the on-going Syrian civil War. It only takes a little time.


The author's comments:

The reason I wanted to right this piece is because I am very deep in Indian culture. I am an Indian boy and my parents came over from India so I'm very intrested in what goes on over there.