Letter to George Bush | Teen Ink

Letter to George Bush MAG

By Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

on Oct. 21 2010 at 1:59 pm
susu.ali BRONZE, Minneapolis, Minnesota
yeah so what if president bush was a good father, friend, husband, or a godo person. i don't know him personally so i'm not going to derail his character. but, i personally don't think bush was a good president. he did nothing admirable. he got america involved in two wars overseas, that were uncalled for and unneccesary. while he didn't raise taxes, its our generation that is going to have to pay the 700 billion dollars he spent on war after 9/ll. admirable...i don't think so.

on Oct. 18 2010 at 7:41 pm
lumpkins BRONZE, Plainfeild, Connecticut
beautiful i admire this peice very much no more needs to be said

7Ariel7 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 11 2010 at 8:55 am
7Ariel7 BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

this is to --- spiritualrevelationrevealspain...

7Ariel7 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 11 2010 at 8:54 am
7Ariel7 BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts

well,  why do you say that Fox is corrupt? what evidence do have? Fox news happens to be conservative and isnt afraid to tell the truth about ALL, and thats the main reason that they are 'persecuted.' our nation used to side always with the truth and justice and now everything is about making money and giving people what they "wanna hear." Fox ahs continued in these steps unlike so many others who find no fault in comprimising.

on Oct. 7 2010 at 9:56 pm
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
yeeeaaaah but, soldiers that died in our almost pointless wars had feelings, innocent that were shot had feelings, people that lost hope in the country have feelings, just sayin if i was in a room with him he wouldnt be leaving

on Oct. 7 2010 at 9:52 pm
explain please

7Ariel7 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 29 2010 at 2:30 pm
7Ariel7 BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts

i agree tommyoooo good job. --- i do agree though that America needs to mind her own business a little more. after all as anerica fights other nations wars for them our own security ans economy is failing. there is a time and a placew for everything.

7Ariel7 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 29 2010 at 2:26 pm
7Ariel7 BRONZE, Plymouth, Massachusetts

funny. your version of "corrupt" is what used to be caled the "TRUTH"

on Sep. 13 2010 at 7:51 pm
no but i agree fox news is the most corrupt news source

on Sep. 8 2010 at 1:44 am
SassieCassie322 BRONZE, Encino, California
i agree (that this was well said)

on Sep. 8 2010 at 1:44 am
i couldn't agree more!

on Sep. 1 2010 at 4:44 pm
morgiegetsmoney BRONZE, Springfield, Missouri

"tell me i cant, i'll show you i can."

it is beyond refreshing to read something written by someone, showing their respect and appreciation to former president bush and what all he has done. so thank you! :)

on Aug. 31 2010 at 5:03 pm
DallysGrrl PLATINUM, Middlesex, New Jersey
OH and Peace Frog? I thought u were just preaching about how we should focus on the ARTICLE, not the politics in it.

on Aug. 31 2010 at 4:55 pm
yeah ok watever i dont really care. ok? thats my opinion. u can have urs, just let me have mine.

on Aug. 29 2010 at 11:10 am
i have the utmost respect for our soldiers, but the ways in which we had them RISK tHEIR LIvES is sick, the us hasnt seen a religious war ever, and as such we should of went about it differently because no matter how many guns we have the taliban could be around for a long time, a reason for that is they recruit kids with the allure of money(because they have none), and spouting lies, much of which can be soved through giving more aid to the countries and building more schools to prevent the next generation becoming terrorists

on Aug. 28 2010 at 5:19 pm
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Haha ok. Thank you to EVERYONE who has commented on my article! I appreciate the feedback and am glad to have written something people are talking about!

on Aug. 28 2010 at 5:15 pm
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Thank you so much! :)

on Aug. 28 2010 at 1:24 pm
DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

Hes not the only one who commented you know. I did and so did DallysGrrl.

on Aug. 27 2010 at 9:32 pm
peace.frog.271 BRONZE, Pinehurst, North Carolina

"Let us remember as we chase our dreams into the stars that our first responsibility is to our Earth, to our children, to ourselves." -George W. Bush

This means to me that before we let ourselves fade, we must take care of ourselves and others.

Shakesbeer are you serious? "Oh be quiet.... bush requested it that is well known" Yeah. And if you were just attacked by a group of terrorist, would you request war? Would you not avenge the 3,000 lives that were lost on 9/11? 

Obviously, Congress accepted it. And believe it or not, no matter what your party, you would've too.

on Aug. 27 2010 at 9:30 pm

Another cliche of a young democrat.. how sad. As a not so wise Sarah Palin once said, "How's that hopey-changey stuff working out for ya?"

Though I do not agree on Palin with almost anything, this statement could not have been truer. Obama is a crock. You'll see, if you can't already, exactly what a fraud of a politician he is.