Letter to George Bush | Teen Ink

Letter to George Bush MAG

By Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

on Nov. 27 2010 at 12:03 am
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
absolutely, if we dont culturally level out the insane differences between monetary classes people will revolt, and people will die. we have taken capitalism to the biggest extremes we can which is disgusting

Suhyoon BRONZE said...
on Nov. 25 2010 at 3:08 am
Suhyoon BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other

"Prestige! Is that nothing, sir? The respect of fools, the astonishment of children, the envy of the rich, the scorn of the wise." BARNAVE

And also there was the fact the bailout didn't SPECIFY IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM how the money should be used because the Republicans believe in a free market system which is good but COMPLETE freedom is ridiculous seeing that Wall Street is now taking advantage of that to buy private jets for its biggies.

Suhyoon BRONZE said...
on Nov. 25 2010 at 3:05 am
Suhyoon BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other

Yes and add another 700 Billion taxpayer money to that for that lovely SYNCHRONIZED passing of the bailout right before elections to bailout those Wall Street firms who practically run the treasury dep.

You do realize there was more than half a dozen former Goldman Sachs executives heading that corrupted thing under Bush?

Suhyoon BRONZE said...
on Nov. 24 2010 at 7:51 am
Suhyoon BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other

Best comedy I've ever read.  And the fact its written so sincerely is why I still can't stop laughing.

But still everyone has the right to voice their ignorance--cough, I mean opinion--and if I was an English teacher, I'd say its well-written with concrete personal references and flow.

lovevpets said...
on Nov. 18 2010 at 4:43 pm
That's wonderful and well written. God bless you, and God bless the USA!

on Nov. 17 2010 at 8:54 pm
dont get me wrong hussein deserved to die but he kept the terrorist situation more under control than we have. also in the process of creating iraqs new dictatorship that is somehow still labeled democracy we disrupted and killed many more people than hussein ever did while making our flag a symbol of ignorance to many people in the middle east and of course it was possible for him to have wmds, we sold them many weapons so iraq and iran would massacre each other, it was an excuse to harness land, and natural resources

on Nov. 17 2010 at 8:46 pm
cosider getting your news from either non profit news sources, books or out of country stations. thats the only way to get unbiased information with facts not distorted by monetary motives

on Nov. 17 2010 at 8:43 pm
then theyr scum too, its not about political parties anymore because theyv both become sports teams, they dont care whats best for the nation as long as they beat each other

on Nov. 17 2010 at 8:41 pm
right i think there where 4 non arabs arrested but then they never showed it on the news again

on Nov. 9 2010 at 4:50 pm
abey2012 BRONZE, Dearborn, Michigan
what is really funny is the people convicted for the 9/11 attacks were not even from Iraq

on Nov. 9 2010 at 4:08 pm
PuzzleLuver SILVER, Powell, Ohio

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but have eternal life" John 3:16

I have said it before and i will say it again congress has to agree to war and congress was mostly democrats at the time

on Nov. 9 2010 at 4:03 pm
PuzzleLuver SILVER, Powell, Ohio

fox news is conservative, it's true, but that does not mean it is stupid, it is the truth. the reason it seems so different is that other news channels are very liberal and i believe they are stupid (that is my opinion)

on Nov. 9 2010 at 3:59 pm
PuzzleLuver SILVER, Powell, Ohio

congress has to approve of war and at that time congress was full of democrats

on Nov. 9 2010 at 3:57 pm
PuzzleLuver SILVER, Powell, Ohio

I agree with you and also the rest of the media is very liberal thats why fox news stands out 

on Nov. 9 2010 at 3:55 pm
PuzzleLuver SILVER, Powell, Ohio

but if you remember the president cant declare war the congress has to agree and the congress at that time was full of democrats

on Nov. 7 2010 at 3:25 pm
no i want to face the truth, but not a truth thats seen through nationalism, bigotry, or support for a political party, none of which i can get from fox. and yes we should have gone after al qaeda and the taliban, but we hardly have done anything to SOLVE the war. killing off an enemy that has an endless amount of people to recruit, and an endless amount of reasons to recruit them is impossible. we have killed at least ten times the amount of innocent people that died in 9/11, thats the truth. 

on Nov. 7 2010 at 3:06 pm
and he let thousands die in after hurricane katrina plus think of how many innocent people in iraq and afghanistan were killed

on Nov. 7 2010 at 3:05 pm
nice paper, but doesnt change the fact that i would have rid the world of that monster given the chance=)

on Nov. 2 2010 at 8:20 am

Mmm, wow. Well, the United States could not have prevented 9/11 from happening that was cimpletely unexpected. And are you saying that we should have NOT gone into Iraq and Afghanistan when thousands of Americans were forever affected and killed in these attacks?!

Watch Fox News. & not all the other garbage (CNN, NBC, MSNBC,etc.) It tells the truth even when people like YOU do not want to face it.

on Oct. 23 2010 at 1:06 am
i love you., MILITARIES LIKE THE MAFIA, YOU PAY FOR PROTECTION