Letter to George Bush | Teen Ink

Letter to George Bush MAG

By Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

on Jan. 18 2011 at 4:31 pm
Who do you think caused 9/11 huh? He has no spine, people who make national messes and leave obama to clean it up do not have spines, not sorry to say.

on Jan. 18 2011 at 4:29 pm
I have to disagree. George BUsh got us into the recession we have today. He declared war, causing millions of innocent young people to die. He made the mess and left Obama to clean it up. 

on Jan. 18 2011 at 2:54 pm
Ironwoman BRONZE, Fremont, Ohio

Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
Alfred Lord Tennyson

I have to disagree in many aspects because of our last president our nation is debt, other nations think where snobby, and the well being of those less fortunate was ignored.

Our nations debt is a very serisous matter that was handled poorly in the effect that many people lost jobs that where sent over seas which Busch supported fully.

When 9/11 occured we had dozens of nations offering to come and help us and Busch sent them on thier way. Even after the Katrina which wasn't his help he once again didn't allow other nations to help. The oil spill would've been prevented if Busch wouldn't have gotten rid of our safty nets through Obama did refuse other countries help for that disaster also.   

Busch was to busy being high and mighty and starting wars where they didn't belong. Did he think about the solidior who would die there. You don't see one of his children in this war or any of his family. He left us Americans to cry over the fallen while he licked his wounds at being disgraced with 9/11.

I know many don't share my views and I could go on for hours, but really consider what has happened in the years of his power. Who voted him in for a second term?  

on Jan. 8 2011 at 9:27 pm
JezusFreak15 BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who threngthens me"
"I want to be the woman who, in the morning when my feet hit the floor the devil says'Oh CRAP, she's awake!'"

I dont care about the u.n., they are an organization. And Bush didn't start the war, terrorists started war when they slammed 2 planes into the twin towers, killing thousands! Bush merely made the official declaration. If we didn't go to war there would only be more attacks, the terrorists would see that we don't care about preserving what we fought long and hard for from England, and we would end in rubble. The end of the Land of the Free.

on Dec. 31 2010 at 3:55 pm
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
this sentence was a grammatical massacre..

on Dec. 31 2010 at 3:50 pm
no, thats not what atheism means at all (though im not one), atheist is simply a term for a person with their own beliefs and who dot buy into other religions. also patriotism blinds people, i have seen it do more damage than good.

on Dec. 31 2010 at 3:38 pm
well, heres why i strongly dislike bush: he started a war without the approval of the u.n., he acted horribly in the events after hurricane katrina, he let his vice president be someone with huge connections to haliburton a company that then got paid to "rebuild iraq", he didnt win his 2nd election yet was still president, bailouts,, giving america a horrible image, feeding off his fathers fame, not impeaching himself. why do you like him?

on Dec. 21 2010 at 5:02 am
Free_nel BRONZE, Euless, Texas

"What is mine is mine and what is yours is mine also"

With all due respect. You should have your own opinions quite alright. nevertheless, Let he who be without sin cast the first stone friend. America. Beautiful nation founded on hope, love, and sanctuary. We spearheaded the world into a new age. Became the reigning super-power. Yet we still behave like the worlds economy isn't depending mostly on ours. if you don't agree with their decisions, imagine what they have to say about ours? please, think about how things must be for them. some people don't wake up to running water or even electricity every day. they barely have time to focus on living let alone caring for their government. Palestine is run by a group of people not a nation run in it's own accord like america. Shalom.

on Dec. 20 2010 at 6:44 pm
The.King SILVER, Golden, Colorado

"A story's beginning is a sudden event. The start, a happy accident; the end, the fate for which it's meant. A story that never ends is a sad fate."-Miss Edel

Really?  what an assinine comment.  ever stop to think thats exactly what I think of you for thinking Bush was a "bad" president?  if you respond, please do so with intelligence, so as not to decrease my already low opinion of you.  I cannot debate with a barbarian.

on Dec. 19 2010 at 3:45 pm
Babygirl809 SILVER, Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri

We had to declare war. If we didn't other nations would think they could attack us and nothing would be done. The american people wanted revenge not just  Bush. The Middle East sees us as we see them. They think of us as terrorists. Think of all the innocent people that have died on both sides. And not everything is Obama or Bush's fault there are other people in government. Our government isn't perfect but hey it works at times. And how is a natural disaster Bush's fault?

By the way I did like this article a lot!!

on Dec. 19 2010 at 2:00 pm
ok, lets compromise..ANY for-profit media is unreliable because it facts can be more or less boght, ect. please get your news from books, non for-profit media, even bbc. The thing about fox news(and msnbc) is that they are solely supposed to deliver the NEWS, facts and events undestorted by a conservative or liberal perspective respectively

on Dec. 19 2010 at 1:53 pm
haha yeah sorry that sounded really insensitive. Here's what i should've said: israel does'nt treat the people of palestine well and i believe that is partially inluenced by some leaders in palestine being too uncompromising when it comes to religion and the preconceived character that goes with having differences in belifs, sorry. That being said israel has been attacked many times and has a reason for being overly cautious, i just don't agree with their decisions.

on Dec. 12 2010 at 9:39 am
smilyface BRONZE, Arlington, Massachusetts

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

-Jimi Hendrix

I think your an ignorent jerk.  I have tons of friends from Israel and none of them is or knows anybody who is a terrorist or a fanatic.

on Dec. 1 2010 at 9:07 pm
better yet. overthrow our goverment system at its base, its not working. send death threats to billionares, they could choose to save millions but they dont. and start giving aid to countries instead of forcing our ideals, cmpanies, and ways of life on them.

on Dec. 1 2010 at 8:29 pm
Kyle Tierney BRONZE, Marcellus, New York
And now we have OBAMAS bailout which is worth more than any other previous president has spent combined. Great job folks. I wouldnt have minded so much if it had worked, but it didnt and we knew it wouldnt because history repeats itself. Thats what they tried in the great depression...giving money to companies and hoping it trickles down, but it NEVER DOES because the executives keep most of it. Lower taxes, restore confidence in banks.

on Dec. 1 2010 at 8:25 pm
I liked bush, I thought he had a spine and i dont think Obama does. I have reasons to back this up for those who argue that I am ignorant in saying this, but im just sayin I agree with you :-)

on Nov. 30 2010 at 7:37 pm
i completely agree, israel is more or less a terrorist state run by religious fanatics

Suhyoon BRONZE said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 3:59 pm
Suhyoon BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other

"Prestige! Is that nothing, sir? The respect of fools, the astonishment of children, the envy of the rich, the scorn of the wise." BARNAVE

Wait I posted that in the wrong place, it was meant to be a reply to Tommy's remark.

Suhyoon BRONZE said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 3:58 pm
Suhyoon BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other

Excuse me, why do you think 9/11, the event everyone still shudders about happened? Why do you think the whole Middle East hates the States (even before the war)? Answer that and you'll know what's wrong with bending over backward for Isreal.

Suhyoon BRONZE said...
on Nov. 29 2010 at 3:40 pm
Suhyoon BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other

Please check out the new film Capitallism:A Love Story, it will explain a lot better than me what kind of letter you've written.