Letter to George Bush | Teen Ink

Letter to George Bush MAG

By Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama
Kara Coleman SILVER, Gadsden, Alabama

Dear Mr. Bush,

Much is being made of the inauguration of President Obama. But amidst all the celebration, I couldn’t help but think about how you must be feeling leaving office and transferring your position to another.

You served as commander in chief during one of our nation’s darkest hours. I was only 11 during the 2000 presidential election, but I was very interested. I saved newspaper articles during the recount process and kept them in a binder to show my kids when I tell them about one of the closest elections in our history.

I was 12 on September 11, 2001. I was so scared that I pretended nothing was happening. I tried to avoid the media coverage, but I could hear it blaring everywhere I went. Living in a small town in Alabama, I was nowhere near the attacks, but that didn’t keep me from feeling them. My family was supposed to go to an Atlanta Braves baseball game the next day, but of course all major gatherings were cancelled. So were airline flights. I remember how weird it was not to see or hear any planes.

I never would have guessed that more than seven years later, we would not have experienced another attack on our soil. But I do recall that American flags were everywhere. Suddenly, people who before had been against mentioning God were calling to him for help. For a brief time, our nation really came together. We remembered that we are all Americans.

In 2007, my family spent a week in Washington, D.C., and we absolutely loved it. One day we visited the White House. As we were walking down the hall, a security guard told my dad to look out the window. A Marine helicopter had been sitting on the lawn and just then we saw the soldier next to it salute, and suddenly you came into view. We all started screaming, “There he is! That’s the president!” When you boarded the chopper, you turned to give a wave.

I turned 18 the summer of 2007, so when the primaries rolled around, I registered to vote and did my homework on the candidates. I felt so ­satisfied after I cast my ballot, and I couldn’t imagine why people would not take ­advantage of the opportunity to choose our leaders. As the general election approached, I pored over newspaper articles and watched the debates on TV. I even dressed like Sarah Palin for Halloween, which was a lot of fun. It was interesting to see people’s reactions – both positive and negative.

In closing, sir, I would like to thank you for serving our nation, and for holding the U.S. together ­during the worst attack on our soil, two wars, and natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina. It was no mistake that you were elected as our president, even though Al Gore actually won the popular vote. I think you were the man our country needed. And now, as we rally behind our new president and prepare to face whatever comes, I want to say, God bless you, George W. Bush. And God bless America.

on Feb. 4 2011 at 1:57 am
Elizabethm BRONZE, Hulbert, Oklahoma

"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe. –Albert Einstein.

Congress granted permission. Former president Bush engaged forces. Presidents can do that, since they are the chief commanding officer, but within thirty days Congress must allow, or at the end of thirty days Congress may disallow, forces to remain.

on Feb. 4 2011 at 1:52 am
Elizabethm BRONZE, Hulbert, Oklahoma

Congress granted permission. That is how our government works: only the president can declare war, but after 30 days the Congress has the power to withdraw forces, or allow war.

leafy said...
on Feb. 3 2011 at 3:13 pm
not to mention that Bush got us in to both of those wars and spent so much money on them that we're in this recession right now. and for those of you saying that Bush didn't declare the war, look up your social studies cause only the prez can declare war and he certainly supported it. 

Amacina said...
on Feb. 2 2011 at 6:41 pm

For real? Level Nine? It's the Ninth Ward.

And as for Hurricane Katrina, it was the governer of Lousisana, Blanco, who did not accept the help. Help was offered, but she assumed it could be handled with whom they had, but it didn't work out that way. It was a lot more than she expected and for that shortsightedness, she's out of office. So stop blaming Bush for every mess you can think of. I get he wasn't the best President in the world, but not every single little thing that went wrong was his fault. There are others who are more guilty than he.

-from a Lousisana resident who has been through many a hurricane, including Katrina.

on Feb. 2 2011 at 6:32 pm
TheFitfulFire BRONZE, Houma, Louisiana
If the soldiers didn't know there was a chance they'd be killed doing what they do, then they had NO business being soldiers.

on Feb. 2 2011 at 5:57 pm
TheFitfulFire BRONZE, Houma, Louisiana

Let's get this straight right now. It's the Ninth Ward, not Level Nine. 

Governor Blanco ought to have sent in the request for aid FAR earlier than she did, and in that respect, she was wrong. I love how everyone thinks that just because the President holds that title that he can just make things happen instantaneously without having to go through proper procedure. 

George Bush is no war criminal. Have you considered, even for the briefest of moments, that perhaps the informants who gave intel to the Americans who then passed ti on to the President could have been lying? Or do we just all assume automatically that because they aren't American they can't POSSIBLY be lying about anything. False pretext? Your ignorance is laughable. There will always be war profiteers on all sides of any conflict--such an institution is as old as war itself. But to so outrageously accuse the man of such is beyond the pale. Respect the office and not the man if you must. Calling him by unwarranted epithets is certainly not the way to go 

on Feb. 2 2011 at 5:48 pm
TheFitfulFire BRONZE, Houma, Louisiana
Because giving aid to foreign countries not only works but will save us money, right? What a joke.

on Feb. 2 2011 at 5:44 pm
TheFitfulFire BRONZE, Houma, Louisiana
Right. Because God knows that film tells both sides of the story. 

on Feb. 1 2011 at 8:20 pm
alanahlovee BRONZE, Monroe, Ohio

"Bleeding heart, he called her. Well, he should know. He was the first one to tear it to pieces."- nineteen minutes, jodi picoult

^ I agree with toxsickfiend

Hmmmmmm said...
on Feb. 1 2011 at 5:29 pm
Hmmm? Monster, eh? Did you know that on the last Wednesday of his last term, he called the conservative radio hosts to the Oval Office and told them to go easy on Obama, knowing that being President isn't an easy career for anyone? Can you see Obama doing that for his successor?

on Jan. 30 2011 at 10:07 pm
K.a.t.h.l.e.e.n. SILVER, Plymouth, Massachusetts

See everything, Overlook a lot, Correct a little.

President Bush did not cause the recession. He did not declare war, Congress, did! He did not cause millions of innocent people to die. Our miliary went to Iraq to take down Husseins regime, not millions of innocent people! Not innocent in the least!! HUSSEIN killed hundreds of his own innocent people. Wise up!

on Jan. 30 2011 at 10:01 pm

Wow, I love this letter!! I agree with you 100%. I can remember 9/11 as well, and that feeling of unity across America was almost palpable! I just wrote a short short piece, think "flash fiction" short, about 9/11. It's called Mandy, Don't! People pften forget why we went to Iraq, but I will never forget that horrible, horrible day.

I really enjoyrd this and can relate to you totally! Please keep writing!

Suhyoon BRONZE said...
on Jan. 30 2011 at 5:54 am
Suhyoon BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other

"Prestige! Is that nothing, sir? The respect of fools, the astonishment of children, the envy of the rich, the scorn of the wise." BARNAVE

Ditto to what TheKing said:

I know it wasn't exactly a sensitive comment but it was also an understatement. The first time I read this, I thought it was a gag. As spiritualrevelation pointed out there's ALOT of things that was wrong with Bush and his decisions including the war and the state he left the economy in. I could write an essay but perhaps it would put your mind at rest if I told you I didn't hate him. You can hate an evil person but not a stupid one.

on Jan. 28 2011 at 1:54 am
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
thank you for your respect and i appreciate the information

buneter said...
on Jan. 26 2011 at 1:43 pm
again learn ocial studies congress got us into the war bu your just a little bit stupider you blame kennady for he great depression of course you dont because he also got us out te stock market crashed he had ntohing to with it

buneter said...
on Jan. 26 2011 at 1:41 pm
bush didnt have anything to do with the wars congress got into them

fartless said...
on Jan. 24 2011 at 8:59 am
fartless, Balls, Indiana
I guess he should've ignored the intelligences telling him that Iraq had WMDs. I also guess it was pointless even though we discovered that they were obtaining the means to. That chemical lab just slips everyone's mind these days.

fartless said...
on Jan. 24 2011 at 8:39 am
fartless, Balls, Indiana
Another mindless conspiracy theorist that thinks Bush was responsible. Go do your homework. I guess Bush didn't inherit a mess from the previous presidents. What's Obama doing about this mess? Well he's continuing the wars because they clearly aren't pointless and he's adding more to the debt with his socialist healthcare program.

wi234 said...
on Jan. 23 2011 at 7:05 am
wi234, Boston, Massachusetts
I strongly disagree with this writer . For one thing Bush is partly responsible for the effects of Hurricane Katrina by appointing a completely incompetent man to head FEMA. Also it in my opinion was a mistake {or something more} that Bush was elected. many voters say that they were disenfranchised. Also this writer makes it seem as though Bush had no control of the two wars he started killing thousands of men and women . Also this writer disregards that under Bush the economy fell apart . Also not mentioned is Guantanamo bay where prisoners are tortured .

katie717 GOLD said...
on Jan. 20 2011 at 11:23 pm
katie717 GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona

"This world is but a canvas to our imagination." -Thoreau

While I disagree with a lot of your specifics, I appreciate your general sentiment. I like the idea of a fellow politically active American teenager rallying after each president in hopes of a United America. :)