Bernie Sander's Secret Weapon | Teen Ink

Bernie Sander's Secret Weapon

By Sam-Hommrich BRONZE, Westerville, Ohio
Sam-Hommrich BRONZE, Westerville, Ohio

Despite the 2016 presidential election being an entire year away, people are already making up their minds on who they want as the next Commander ane Chief. For the Democrats Hillary Clinton seemed to be their star candidate, but that was until a Vermont senator named Bernie Sanders came along. Sanders campaign has spread fire like no other. His message traveled purely through social media and word of mouth, he has had no television advertisements and does not plan on having any. For a long time many politicians have sold the idea of a "Grass Roots Movement" but untimatly never fufulled this promise. Sander's campaign has been entirely build upon small donations from ordinary people. Could this be the real grass roots movement our country needs? Surveys show that trust of politicians is at an all time low among America's young people. Despite being in his mid 70's Sanders presents the ideas that young Americans have been presenting for years but was considered too "Utopian" or "Idealistic" to work. But with and older and wiser indivdual presenting these ideas, the people are starting to listen. Sanders labels his stance as "Democratic Socialist" and this idea is hard to swallow for some. When people think of Socialism, they often think of soldiers marching down Red Square with their rifles slung on their shoulders. But this is a radical image that is not representitive of what Senator Sanders is proposing. To many young people who where not alive during the reign of the USSR may be able to grasp this idea better than some older individuals. If we remove the preconcieved notions behind the word "Socialism" we will find ideas that many Democrats would agree with such as universal health care and financial assistance. To the "Occupy Wallstreet" generation, this is the new breed of politician they have been looking for. Sanders has a long history of social advocacy such as marching with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr as a young college student. Sanders has been doing one of the things few candidates can do, convince jaded young people to vote. Many election polls fail to account for young individuals that are eligible to vote, but choose not to. But thanks to Sander's efforts they are running out in swarms to become registered voters. This is the secret weapon that could win him the election. Already around my own school I hear murmers about Sanders and how they have been captivated by his ideals and policies. America's young people have the power to tip the scales and decide the election. They have done the impossible and even gotten a self proclaimed "Democratic Socialist" on the cover of Time magazine. In conclusion I suggest that no matter where you stand politically, to register and vote for whoever you think can lead our country best.

I felt that Bernie Sanders has created a new kind of way to campaign. I wanted to give a little more information to my fellow teens on this issue.