Stop Being so Racist, Soccer | Teen Ink

Stop Being so Racist, Soccer

By Flamboyant BRONZE, East Hampton, New York
Flamboyant BRONZE, East Hampton, New York

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something."
- Jake the Dog

Why do people judge you for your skin color, nationality, or origin? So they could just categorize you in their own mental box of Spanish, European, or Asian people? So they could say “ Oh, you’re half black?” Or “ I have a friend from there.” And then they put you in a section of their mind? Maybe even sometimes people judge a book by it’s cover and say “ Oh, I don’t like people from there.” In soccer, on the pitch, it happens all the time. Kevin Prince Boateng just happens to be half Ghanan, half German. Some people categorize him in a negative way. It’s called racism.

Kevin Prince Boateng, is a midfielder and forward on FC Schalke 04. He is very skilled, but people still make racist remarks about him. When he was on AC Milan, an Italian team, he threatened to leave Italy if the manager of the team doesn’t give him a reason to stay and take the death threats and racist remarks. During a friendly match between Pro Patria, Boateng walked off the pitch because the opposing team’s fans were chanting racist remarks like “monkey”, “we don’t want the black”, and the N word, which is way too offensive to say in this article. He punted the ball into the crowd, tore off his shirt, and walked off the field alongside his teammates. His team and staff are backing him up too.

Other old teammates of his on AC Milan are also constantly harassed by even their OWN FANS! Sulley Muntari, Mario Balotelli, M’Baye Niang, and Urby Emanuelson are a hand full of many players that are made fun of because of the color of their skin. What do you people have against dark skinned people!?

Kevin Prince Boateng, even though he is still playing soccer, has been made in charge of fighting racism by FIFA. He and a team of people are now leading the battle against racism with new laws and new consequences for racist fans. I’m glad that this is being put into action, and maybe in ten years, there will be no racism in the stadiums.

I don't like racism, nothing else

on Jun. 30 2014 at 6:26 pm
Springading SILVER, Macomb, Michigan

"People say the greatest generation has come and gone, but their wrong... they haven't seen what were capable of" - Dan Campbell

Soccer isn't the only sport with the on feild slurs. Happens all the time in (American) football. The whole Richie Incognito story is all that has really surfaced. It's really a shame that racism is still such a big issue in this world, especially sports