If I Were Mayor | Teen Ink

If I Were Mayor

By mwswimmer SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
mwswimmer SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

If I, Maddie W., were mayor of Waukesha, Wisconsin, I would do everything to make our community a better place for the younger generations. This includes increasing funding for athletes to participate in school sports, providing required drug prevention programs at high schools, and making scholarship opportunities for students and families who aren’t wealthy enough to pay for college by themselves.

I plan on doing this by funding money for athletes and students to participate in school sports and activities. Doing this gives students a chance to stay healthy and fit. Kids will also learn how to participate in team activities. Technology has taken away students abilities to work with other kids because they are to focused on their phone, or other device. This will give them a way to interact with kids while getting a good workout and having fun. It is proven that kids who participate in sports or activities learn discipline, self-esteem and confidence which allows them to build social skills. To raise the money for this I will have fun free intramural tournaments that you could sign up for with your friends. In middle schools, you will be required to pick a sport to take. If the students realize that they enjoy the sport they are in then they will most likely chose to stay in it.

The next thing I would do to help our younger generations is prevent drug use. Our community and communities around us have now taken notice on drug issues like, heroin, weed and opioids. These drugs are now being seen frequently and we need to prevent these drugs from affecting our teens. I want to provide schools in our district with guest speakers and family members that have been affected by drugs. Arrowhead High School had an assembly before prom in 2016 and brought in parents of kids who overdosed and died. At the assembly, there were stands in the middle of the gym with shoes on it. Each shoe represented someone who had died from overdosing. This assembly proved to be effective and students showed through a survey that it was beneficial. I believe that if we did this at each school before huge school events it would give the students some knowledge that would impact their lives. We would get supplied money from the state to be able to partake for these assemblies.

I also believe that the final step to ensuring that the younger generations live in a better community is for us to help students get into college and provide them with scholarship opportunities. Students that want to go to college but families are able to help them then they should be able to still go. What we need to do as a community is help the students that want to go further. We need to let them know that even if you aren’t wealthy enough to go to college you could still go. By telling them and providing them with information about FAFSA they will be able to meet their goals.

Overall, if you vote for me, Maddie W., I will increase funding for athletes to participate in school sports, provide required drug prevention programs at high schools, and provide more scholarship opportunities for students and families who aren’t wealthy enough to pay for college by themselves. Vote for me and I promise I will make our community great again!