Speaking More Than One Language | Teen Ink

Speaking More Than One Language

October 30, 2008
By Anonymous

Speaking More Than One Language



Do you only speak one language? Well if you do then you are really missing out on the advantages of speaking two or more languages. There are many advantages but one good thing about it is that now in life people are traveling more, and if you visit a place where you can speak their language then you can communicate with them. Also, another advantage is that if you want to get into a good college but they think you are not good enough knowing a different language can really help you. Lastly, when knowing a different language you can learn about other people's culture. For example, if you learn Chinese you could find out how different they are from us. For example how they eat, with chopsticks.

First off, knowing a different language can help you when you travel. For example, a lot of jobs now include traveling, so if you know another language you might be able to communicate with people who speak a different language. Also, if you have relatives in another country, their language will most likely be different than ours. So, if you learn their language you can talk to them. Also, if you travel somewhere totally different than the country you are originally from, and you really enjoy it you could move there when you are older if you know how to speak their language.

Next, learning a new language will help you in College. It might be a pain to learn now but it will help you a lot in college. For example, when you go to college, lots of people will only know one language, but you can stand out by knowing more than one. Also, colleges take other people from other countries into their college and if they don't speak English you can be the one who makes them feel at ease. For example, it would feel good to be the one who makes them feel like they are speaking to someone at home.

Lastly, speaking a different language can help you learn their culture and how it is different from ours. For example, you can learn about their different holidays and different eating habits. A different eating habit would be that maybe they can only have something to drink once they are done eating so that they don't full up on liquid. Also, speaking a different language can help you learn about the way people celebrate different holidays. One example would be that in some places, people open their Christmas presents on Christmas night instead of Christmas morning.

In conclusion, I feel that knowing a different language can benefit you in many ways. Some of these are, traveling, getting into colleges, and learning about other people's culture. I feel that if you speak more than one language you can get farther and learn more.