Writer's Block, Friend or Foe? | Teen Ink

Writer's Block, Friend or Foe?

By Christine0224 BRONZE, Yakima, Washington
Christine0224 BRONZE, Yakima, Washington

Writer’s block- this sometimes unexpected fellow comes along to stop our creations to be formed. So many people who sit to write- whether it’s for school, job, or pure enjoyment come across this wall that pervents us from getting our ideas into words, to create our own little world. So many people find this being to be a foe, but how many of us find it to be a friend? Well for me, I find it to be both. For example, I have Writer’s Block right now. But that doesn’t stop me. Instead I write about it. The one thing stopping me to form ideas is what I choose as my clay. I decided to mold it, for me to own it- not for it to own me. It’s a bit ironic itsn’t it? The fact I write about what stops the flow? I would assume so.

Some find it to be the number one enemy. You sit there for however long you need, you think of something that sounds like a good idea but the further you go into detail about it, the more enthuasiasm you lose to write it because it doesn’t have that spark. It doesn’t connect with you enough to fully pursue. Writer’s Block makes it seem impossible to find a subject to connect to in a personal level and to have that interest level at a peak. Nothing seems to flow right, nothing fits into the puzzle that it’s supposed to. Instead everything floats loosely and/or the problem that there is nothing floating around. Writer’s Block comes in different forms for everyone. Just like I said before, either nothing fits or nothing is there. I personally have both issues, I feel the desire to write, but nothing floats and at the same time everything is floating. Perhaps if some sort of chain could be connected to the ideas then progress would be made.

As impossible as it seems, Writer’s Block can sometimes be your bestfriend. I just heard you gasp- and yes you read right: it can be your friend. Don’t curse or mutter in frustration. Accept the fact you can’t get the activity to just surge through you. Your number one block is this great wall, it resists your efforts to knock it down. There are ideas behind there and they’re just screaming to get out. They beg and plead to be released and feel the relief of being written and kneeded in your hands. But there is something people fail to see, what they fail to notice: after a dam or a wall has too much pressure behind it, it finally gives up and all the pressure is released and comes gushing out like geyser. Those are your ideas: the pressure behind your wall. Once that barricade is gone, then your ideas will hit you with such a force that writing becomes your number one desire, your only need.

At first your imagination is as dry as the desert, but after Writer’s Block leaves you, your imgination is as vast and grand as the ocean. It can be your friend, but it’s all in how you treat it, and how you think of it. Even for me there are days it’s my number one foe and others it’s like it’s my other half.

I'd been dealing with writer's block for a little while and I felt it appropriate to write this.