The So Called Nightmare | Teen Ink

The So Called Nightmare

November 16, 2011
By Brittany16 SILVER, Population, Illinois
More by this author
Brittany16 SILVER, Population, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never give up even if things get hard. Things get hard before they get easy.


Author's note: I like writing scary stories.

It was a dark and stormy night when I was at home alone since my parents were gone away on their anniversary trip to California. They go on a trip every year for their anniversary but go different places. I am the only child, thank God. I have blonde hair, with brown highlights, and straight hair. I am 5 foot and 6 inches tall and weighs about the average weight that a 17 year old girl would weigh.
Everything all started when I was watching a horror movie in the living room when all a sudden the lights went out. I ran down into the basement to go get candles, lamps, matches and flashlights. As I went back upstairs to the living room, I heard a girl scream. It came from the kitchen direction. I ran in there and standing by the door was my best friend, Gracie.
A guy with brown, short, curly hair, and wearing black clothes, was holding a knife to Gracie’s throat. I couldn’t really see his face because it was so dark. The guy smiled at me and slit her throat just like that! I screamed and just stood there like an idiot. As I stood there, I watched Gracie fall to the floor.
I ran upstairs to my bedroom. I was panicking and so I grabbed my cell phone off my bed and called 9-1-1. A lady answered “9-1-1, what’s your emergency?”
I told her what was happening, “There is a guy in my kitchen. He has a knife and he slit my best friend’s throat! Right now, I am in my room, upstairs. I ran from him.”
“Ma’am, stay on the phone with me and what is your address?”
“Ok, 420 North Elmwood Street Ashburnham, Massachusetts” The front down stairs door slammed shut and the lady gave me instructions to follow.
“Ma’am, quietly go look to see if he is gone and lock the doors and windows quickly”
I did as I was told. Then, there was a big thud coming from upstairs. Very slowly and carefully, I went upstairs to see what and where the thud is coming from. I heard glass break coming from my bedroom. I opened my bedroom door and standing there by the window, was that guy. I still couldn’t see his face because it was so dark. The streets lights weren’t even on. Glass was all over the floor and he started walking toward me with that knife he killed Gracie with. I started to panic and ran downstairs.
“The guy is in my room and I am downstairs now. He is still up there!” I said, panicky
“Calm down, help will be there soon. Just stay on the phone with me” the lady on the phone said.
I unlocked the front door and opened it. Standing there was the guy with the knife. I tried really hard to see his face so I can see who it was but it still was to dark.

“How did he get out here so fast? What does he want from me?” I asked myself curiously and scared.

I ran to the kitchen door and ran outside. He jumped right in front of me and scared me even more.

“What do you want from me?!” I screamed at him

He just smiled and raised the knife.

“AH! GET AWAY!” I screamed.

I dropped my phone and the guy stomped on it. I seen a brick lying near so I grabbed it and chucked it right at his head. He fell to the cold, wet, ground.

I ran down the street yelling for help. It was really dark because the street lights weren’t on and it started to pour down rain. The streets started to quickly fill up with water. I could barely see a thing. I tripped over something in the road.

“What in the world?” I wondered

I looked at the object and it was my mom! Lying there, in the street, dead! I couldn’t believe my eyes! I was more scared then I was before. Blood was coming out of her mouth, stabbed marks all over her, and under her was a puddle of blood. I just stood over her dead body. The guy grabbed my throat and said "Sweet dreams little angel. You won’t be seeing anyone anymore and they won’t be seeing you besides at your funeral." I screamed and then i heard sirens. Everything went pitch black.

I woke up on the couch watching a horror movie. Whew, was she glad that was just a dream. I looked at the clock. It said it was 2:36a.m. It was time to go upstairs and go to bed. I shut off the TV and went over to the door to shut the blinds when I looked out the window, a guy that looked like the one from my dream, was standing in the road with a knife. "I must not be fully awake from my dream. I am just going to go up to my room and get sleep" she said to herself.

I went upstairs and opened the door. Standing there by my window was that guy, that nightmare guy. I could not believe my eyes.

"I must still be dreaming" she said aloud.

I shut the door and ran back down stairs. I didn't know what else to do! My phone was broke and the house phone, he cut the wires. It was still storming outside. I was stuck in the house. Nobody heard me scream obviously when I was outside. Maybe, nobody was home around here or maybe he killed them to. I didn't know what to do. I stood there in the living room froze in till I heard him coming down the stairs. I hurried up and found a closet to hide in. I locked it and hid myself behind all the coats. I spelt blood and I looked behind me. I froze right then and there. I almost screamed but I stopped myself. My mom and Gracie were nailed to the back of the closet. Blood was dripping everywhere. Tears rolled down my face. "How could this be happening to me? What did I do to deserve this? I don't want this to keep happening to me. It hasn't happened since I was a little girl. That was all nightmares. This seems real, as real as it can ever get. Please let this be another nightmare. I don't want this to be real. Please God. Please." I said to myself.

I heard his footsteps by the door and then he stopped. I held my breath and shut my eyes tight, hoping this is all just a nightmare and it will get all over soon. The door slowly opened and then it opened fast. He grabbed me and held my neck real tight.

"What do you want from me?" I yelled

He threw me out onto the floor and I elbowed him in the stomach and he let me go so I went to run but he grabbed my leg. I fell and hit my head on the steps going up-stairs. I passed out and woke up in the basement all tied up. I had no clue what had happened and my wrist was sore and was bleeding. He had my wrist tied up to tight and had my legs chained up to the chair. I couldn't see the guy. I was trying to untie my self when the guy came up behind me and hit me with a baseball bat. I was lifeless and could barely move. I had no idea what was going on and what had happened to me. He tightened the chains and rope up. My body started to ache even more. He left the room and left me to die so I just sat there. I knew this was the end of my life.

I heard footsteps coming my way but I didn’t look up.
“Why can’t you just leave me alone now? I give up. I will not fight back anymore. You win and I guess that is what you really wanted. You wanted to win at this sick game of yours”

“Faith, hush, I am going to get you out of here,” Said Matthew.

He cut the rope and broke the chains with an axe lying near. He picked me up and snuck out the basement door. He put me in his car and drove off to the hospital. We were a couple blocks away when another car stuck the driver side of his car. I hit my head on the window and it broke. I passed out and woke up in the middle of the road. My leg was broke and Matthew was still in the car. He was passed out and the other vehicle, the driver was gone. I heard sirens and crawled toward Matthew and the car. The car bursted into flames and I could hear Matthew screaming. “Help me! Get me out of here!”

“Matthew! NO! I am coming!”

I got up to the burning car and then someone grabbed me. I didn’t know who it was. Everything was getting blurry and all I could remember was getting on a stretcher. I woke up in the hospital. My parents and Gracie was standing next to me.

“You guys are alive!”

“Hush Faith, Don’t talk. Just get some rest and you can talk later,” My dad said.

Later that night, I woke up. My parents were sleeping on a bed next to me and Gracie was sleeping in the chair next to me. I shocked Gracie and she woke up. “I had a dream that you got killed and mom also got killed and Matthew and I got into a wreck and the car caught fire. Matthew, where is he?”

“Faith, you tried to kill me and your mom. A guy heard your mom and I screaming so he busted into the basement where you had us and saved us from you. The guy almost killed you by trying to save us. Matthew just got to the house when the guy tied you up. He didn’t know who you were. He just knew that you were trying to kill us so that’s why he tied you up. We were lifeless and couldn’t talk that well. Matthew came in and knocked the guy out and took you and drove you to the hospital. He blew a red light and got hit. The car exploded with him in it. He is still alive but he is burned really bad. The doctors don’t know if he is going to make it.” Gracie explained.
Tears rolled down my face. That was all a lie. The guy was attacking me. I wasn’t attacking anyone. The guy must have drugged them to think it was me. It wasn’t me.
“Gracie, it wasn’t me. I am telling you the truth. It wasn’t me! It wasn’t me! I was watching TV and the power went out and I heard you scream and then I seen you get your throat cut by the guy. Then later I fell over mom’s dead body in the street! I am telling you the truth! I didn’t do it!”
My parents woke up from me screaming and Gracie went and got the doctors. I was still screaming and throwing a fit. They gave me medicine to calm me down. My parents told me the same thing that Gracie told me. I knew it was all a lie. I know what happened. I know it because I seen it all and went threw all the pain.
That medicine made me really tired and I fell asleep. I woke up the next day to a guy standing by my bed. I took a closer look at him and he looked familiar. “Mom, Dad, who is this guy?”
“Honey, don’t you remember? This is Mr. Bubba J. He lives across from us.” My mom said.
"He is the one! He is the one that killed you and Gracie! He is the one that tried to kill me! He is the one!"
"Honey, please calm down. You are confused. He is the one that saved Gracie and I from you. Remember when you were little and had those nightmares you always had? Well you were pretty much having one and you didn't realize what you were doing. You dreamed of him doing bad things but yet you were doing them to us. Well, some of it, just the last part of the nightmare."
"No! He is the one! You guys are lying! You guys know what happened but you just don't want me anymore!"
The doctors came in, gave me more medicine, and I fell asleep. I still couldn't believe this. I have no clue why they were lying about it all. The only thing I don't get is how Mom and Gracie are still alive if the nightmare really did happen. Maybe, they faked it all just to scare me to get me to go crazy. Maybe, it was all a set up. It had of been a set up. There is really no explanation other then it being a set up, that it could be. I just wish it would all get over with.
I woke up a couple hours later. No one was in my room. I paged the doctor.
"Where did everyone go?"
"We sent them home so you can stay calm"
Days went by and they never came back to visit me. I just laid there looking out the window or watched TV. A doctor came in with another doctor.
"Hi, my name is Ms. Haven and this is Mr. Bryant. We are from the Insane Asylum and we are here to take you there. You will be in there for about six months. If things get worse you will be in there for another six months. You will be put on medicine and you will have your own room. If things get better we will let you walk around more of the building but for now you can only be in your room, which has a bathroom in it, cafeteria, or in the living room where everyone else is usually at. If you behave you will get to go to the pool, walk around outside, the fitness room, and other places. Your parents will only get to come visit you on certain days and time. Do you have any questions?"
"No,"
"Okay well, we are going to get you discharged and you will be out of here shortly so just hang in there"
I can't believe it. They think I am crazy. I want to see Matthew. I want to see if he is okay. I have not seen him since I have been in here. I don't wan to see my parents. Not after what they are putting me threw. I know what happened but no one believes me. I page the doctor again.
“May I go see Matthew Barn?”
“Yes, we will send you a doctor to take you to him”
They took me to him about ten minutes later.
“How are you doing Matthew?”
“I am better than before. I was in wrapped up from head to toe because I was burnt. I almost died. Now look, I am looking better and feeling better. How are you doing?”
“They are sending to me the Insane Asylum soon. Nobody believes what happened. Mom and Gracie said I went crazy and tried to kill them but I didn’t. I know what happened but no one believes me,”
“I believe you. I had seen what mainly happened. I just had to wait for the right time and place to get you.”
“Well, no one believes me at all. I will be gone for six months and if I don’t behave then I will be in there for a year.”
“That’s horrible. When I get out I will fight for you. I will tell them what happened. I had seen it. It was horrible. You are not crazy Faith.”
The doctor came in and got me. It was time for me to leave. Ms. Haven and Mr. Bryant drove me to the insane asylum. The showed me around and everything. I settled in not to long after I got to know the place.
Six months went by fast it seemed like. I finished school in there by having special teachers come in and school me. I never had one crazy accident while I was in there. I got to go on the stage and graduate with my class. Everyone seemed to be scared of me and they didn’t talk to me. I had to go with one of the special people from the insane house. I wasn’t exactly out of it yet but I was a week away. After I got out I went home. I barely talked to my parents, I wasn’t friends with Gracie anymore, and Matthew came by every day. Well, he tried to. My parents always made an excuse why he couldn’t come by. I was on house arrest for seven months so I couldn’t leave.
Matthew finally made it to court and took my mom, Gracie, and Mr. Bubba J to court for trying to prove that it was all a set up. They fought over what had happened that night and it went on about a year. I was just turning twenty when the fight was about over. It would have been over but Mr. Bubba J disappeared. People started to blame Matthew and me for it. Then one day, Matthew and I walked in my house and found my mom and dad, lying in the hall way, dead. We called the cops soon as it happened. They searched Mr. Bubba J’s house. All his stuff was gone. Then they went over to Gracie’s house. She moved out of her parent’s house a year and a half ago. They to, found her dead in her room. Her door was busted like someone kicked it in. Glass was broke all over her living room. It was like he just broke in and she tried to fight back.
The cops and the FBI tried their best to hunt down Mr. Bubba J. They found him in the woods dead. He got shot and no one knows who did it. There wasn’t a gun lying near him or in the woods. The cops and the FBI thought that someone was hunting and shot him without knowing it. He also had a twin brother, who was they think is the real killer. His name is Mr. Achmed. He looks just like Mr. Bubba J.
They let me go from that night but I will never forget about what had happened that night. They took me off the medicine but I still have dreams from that night. I moved out of my parent’s house after everything got cleared. Matthew and I both wanted to get away from here as soon as we could.
So Matthew and I moved to California that year after everything fell in place. We then went into college, got married, and started a family of our own. We made sure everything was secured the best that we could, even the two children of ours. We made sure Matthew or I was with them at all times. I was a teacher so I homeschooled the two kids. Matthew was an Architect and was gone out of town a lot so I mainly took care of the kids.
One night, I had a so called nightmare again. I was home alone with the kids for the weekend. The two kids were asleep, upstairs, in their bedrooms and Matthew was out of town for business. In it I ended up calling Matthew for help but he didn’t answer. I then went back upstairs to get the kids but they weren’t there! Then I heard them screaming from the basement. I went down to the basement and standing there with the two kids tied together on a pole, was him. The guy of all people, who I trusted and was always there for me, was the nightmare guy.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


on Dec. 13 2013 at 3:11 pm
Brittany16 SILVER, Population, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never give up even if things get hard. Things get hard before they get easy.

there is more to this short story. I will update it in a couple days!!

on Nov. 13 2013 at 3:03 pm
Brittany16 SILVER, Population, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never give up even if things get hard. Things get hard before they get easy.

I have been working on it some more but i have changed the story a little more and it is a little longer

on Aug. 26 2013 at 10:31 pm
Freckles3 BRONZE, ------------, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The universe is not only queerer than we suppose; it is queerer than we can suppose."
~J.B.S. Haldane

This is really great! You should add more!